Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Calorie-Free Confections

So I was browsing around on etsy today when I came across Fairchildart and her jaw-dropping creations. I could spend hours squinting at the teensy-tinesy dollhouse miniatures and jewelry made from polymer clay. I could never choose a favorite, and then I wandered into the "sold" section of her shop... Gahh!
Kim Burke, the amazingly talented creator of Fairchildart, graciously agreed to a blog interview. Enjoy!

Kim is from Mounds View, MN. She's been enthralled with miniatures since childhood, and is inspired by cook books and local pastry shops. "It's truly remarkable when the delicate textures of food can be reflected on such a tiny scale."

Me: I love your miniatures as jewelry! They're making my mouth water! What inspired you to open an Etsy shop?

Kim: It's my greatest joy as an artist to be able to share my work with others and I was really impressed by what a welcoming community Etsy seemed to be. It always brightens my day to receive a convo from a customer or just another Etsian passing through to drop by comments about my shop- It's this kind of feedback that makes running my shop worthwhile. Seeing the amazing talent on Etsy fuels my desire to create to the best of my abilities.

Me: Do you enjoy any other hobbies or crafts?

Kim: When I'm not hovering over fingertip-sized dishes, I like to unwind with photorealistic graphite pencil drawing or scrapbooking.

Me: Do you have any other websites?

Kim: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairchildart , and a blog: http://fairchildart.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much Kim for sharing your incredible talent!

If these gorgeous creations weren't on the tip of her finger, would you ever guess they aren't real?



A mouth-watering pomegranate. I've never even had a pomegranate, but now I really want one!





This rivals Martha Stewart's cakes!







Can't you just smell the warm syrup?




Unbelievably perfect!


If you can believe it, her blog and flickr site are filled with even more mind-blowing miniatures! I won't spoil the surprise with any more pictures, you've gotta see for yourself!

4 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

amazing! Where to begin?! unbelievable detail! must go now to check it out!

JLR Designs said...

Absolutely amazing!!!

Jesse said...

Wow, those are fantastic! Reminds me of the miniature houses at the Chicago art museum. The artists built small houses that were cut away on the side you you could peek inside at the living room or whatever. All the litte furniture and rugs and everything were handmade with the utmost precision. Each texture looked as if it was a perfectly scaled version of the full-size, real life model. It was mind-blowing.

Indy Grrrl said...

This is great! That first image is so cute.