Monday, August 3, 2009

My Absolute Favorite Recipe!

Chocolate chip cookies, of course! But not any ordinary cookies, these are made with masa flour instead of wheat flour! They have a unique texture, and for some reason I find them more filling. And an added bonus- gluten free!

She's ready to go in her little apron! "Did someone say cookies? Mommy I help!"


MASA CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES



  • 1/2 cup softened butter, softened

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

  • 3/8 cup sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

  • 1 cup instant masa de maiz

  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

  • chocolate chips

Beat butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until fluffy. Add masa and soda, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.


See? So easy. Ok so first we have our ingredients....

And don't forget to unwrap the butter before mixing! (yeah, like you've never forgotten before either...)














If you've never used masa before, the package could look something like this... I get mine at the dollar store. I'm sure they sell it at grocery stores, I just don't know what aisle.





When I mix the butter, sugar, and egg, I find that it doesn't get very fluffy. But I do my best.














And, of course, be sure to check the batter for optimum deliciousness!















Because I prefer maximum chocolate PCI (per cookie inch) I squish as many chocolate chips into the tops as I can!











As with all cookies, DON'T OVERBAKE! These are exceptionally deceptive, so it's better to pull them out before they get gold around the edges.




And... VOILA! ps. If your family complains that they taste like sand, that just means more for you! (Not that I'VE ever heard that before.. hehe... )









3 comments:

Bonzai Beadwear said...

yum! i like your photo tutorial! too cute!

Sara said...

I'll have to put that on my list. We follow an abbreviated celiac diet due to family history. And I found this blog through Ravelry and searching my hometown. Nice to meet another local crafter. :)

Kimmy said...

She's so cute! We're used to what I call sand cookies too around here. Will have to try this one out. :)