Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sew Sweet Stitched Packaging: Part Three- Gift Envelope

Alright, so we have our bubble mailer and gift tags ready to go. Now all we need is a special envelope to present your beautiful product.


I'm sure there are lots of good ways to fold an envelope. I'm pretty sure I do it different every time, and I can never remember how I did it last! So here's the method I happened to be using when I had my camera out.

A piece of 12" x 12" scrapbook paper will get you a medium-sized envelope, and the 8" x 8" from the paper pad is pretty small- perfect for jewelry.


So first cut off the label and decide which side of the paper you want to face out.

Bring two opposite edges together so that they meet in the middle.


Bring up the bottom of a short edge and fold, leaving a few inches for the envelope flap.


You can leave the flap as it is, or fold the corners inward to make a triangle.


The cardstock gets a little thick after all this folding, so I use the handle of my scissors to tame the creases a little more before stitching.


Now just run the edges under your sewing machine!


And that's pretty much it!


I usually wrap the product in a piece of tissue paper before putting it in the envelope.


Tie with a piece of scrap ribbon and add your gift tags and business cards.


I also take a scrap from the bubble mailer or a gift tag piece or whatever, and use it for a little thank you card:


You can write directly onto the back of the paper, or if it's patterned, glue a piece of scrap cardstock cut with decorative scissors to the inside.



Ta-da!


5 comments:

Jenni said...

Hooray! Come on, mailman, come on!!! I'm so excited to get this. :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

beautiful! found your blog through the etsy forum thread you started. I will continue reading through your blog backwards.

Jessica said...

You are just so amazingly creative- it makes me sick. I always have to look at your blog, Etsy page, flickr and facebook when I get online. Thanks for keeping me from doing housework!

melanie.joy said...

This is adorable :)

Hank hendricks said...

I'll be so excited to see this...and use the idea for my own Gift Card envelopes when needed.