Monday, September 21, 2009

A Wool Gathering

It's that time again- Festivals and craft shows! Mom and I have been to A Wool Gathering for the last few years, and we always have a fantastic time. It's actually a fiber festival, (not the cereal-supplement-poopy kind of fiber, I mean the kind that makes yarn!) And it's not only wool, there are vendors selling silk, dyes, handspun and commercial yarn, spindles, spinning wheels, weaving supplies, animals.... and the list goes on.

So you can imagine I have plenty of pictures to share! Therefore I'll be splitting this post up into several sections. Next I'll show a few specific vendors who have some really cool stuff. Then I've got an interview with an author of a new spinning book, and of course lots of pics of my little munchkin playing on the dairy farm!

(I have to apologize in advance for some of the really bad photos- most of the vendors were under red and yellow plastic tents, so not only was there very low light, but everything has an orange-y color. Sorry!)


A Wool Gathering is held every year in September at Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Yellow Springs is quite a little attraction itself, with all kids of cool artisan shops and cafes. The Dairy has the best ice cream I've ever had, and that's saying a lot, cuz I eat a lot of ice cream!


Right inside the entrance there was an excellent weaving and spinning demonstration. Two women were spinning the yarn, and a third was weaving it into yardage. Just when you think you have enough hobbies...


I just love this little tent for the kids. There are all kinds of instruments for them to play with, like a fiddle, dulcimer, and banjo! So cute!




And we have the annual "fiberface" photo. I think the vendor is beginning to recognize us.



What's the best part of any fiber show? The alpacas, of course! Aren't they gorgeous?

I love those big eyes and long eyelashes. They were "on sale" for only $400! I'm sure my landlord wouldn't mind, only farm animals are not allowed in our village. Pfft. Maybe if I taught her to bark like a dog...

Here's me squishing a ball of Crystal Palace's Mochi Plus. Gahh it's gorgeous stuff! I love singles, and the colors are fabulous. (I'm the one with the glasses. Ehehe...)


Here's Mom visiting Ohio Valley Natural Fibers for, like, the zillionth time that weekend. (The word on the street is that she struck a great deal and will be passing on the fiber-liciousness in her Etsy shop as quick as her little fingers can dye!)



If you're not a knitter or spinner but want to learn more, stay tuned- after I get through the photos I'll be posting a tutorial about making your own yarn from silk hankies, which are little square sheets of raw silk straight from the cocoon. It's a really inexpensive and easy way to get started spinning. All you need are your fingers!
If you already share the fiber obsession and just can't wait for my next post (haha) you can browse our highly entertaining adventures from last year's Wool Gathering and the previous year's little fiber roadtrip to Greencastle, Indiana.

P.S. The next Wool Gathering will be September 18 & 19, 2010!

4 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Love the pics. If you are close enough to drive to Michigan, you should check out my Alpaca Wonder Weekend. I am an hour north of the Indiana/Ohio State Lines. www.wonderwhyalpacafarm.com I will have fiber artists and tons of alpaca and alpaca made products from about 15 alpaca farms total.

Sara said...

I totally spaced on this event. *smacks head* I'll catch it next year. Great pictures!

SewSweetStitches said...

Andrea, that sounds like fun! We're just about at the bottom of Ohio, but sounds well worth the drive!

Daniele said...

I knew I shouldn't have passed it up again! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!!