Thursday, October 15, 2009

Amaretto Baked Apples


My favorite part about autumn is honeycrisp apples! They taste just like they sound, sweet and crisp. Plus, they don't have a lot of crusty stuff in the middle to cut out. They're a little expensive, so for baking I usually use a different kind. But I had these on hand and I wanted to make something to serve with my homemade beef stew- yum!


So I sliced up two apples, which is plenty for our little family of three. Especially since I ate quite a few of the slices before they made it to the oven!
I've used whipping cream and corn syrup before, which is fine, but all I had on hand was coffee creamer. Amaretto flavored coffee creamer. So I mixed brown sugar and cinnamon into a splash of creamer and poured it over the apple slices in a small baking dish. They cooked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

If you use plenty of creamer, it will make a wonderful gooey sauce. I made it again using less creamer (coconut flavored!) and it just kept the apples moist with a tiny hint of flavor.


The first time I made the baked apples, I served them as dessert. This time I served them with my beef stew. The flavors together were amazing- maybe because I dump tons of cinnamon in the stew also?

Mmmmm perfect for a windy fall day!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Very cool idea! I may have to try this with my kids. They love apples.