Thursday, November 19, 2009

Breakfast is Served

Hello, my name is Melissa, and I despise all healthy foods.
But I still like my liquid breakfast- Coffee. Oh yeah, and these soy protein shakes! They're super easy to make, fairly cheap, and the flavor combinations are endless.

All you need is a banana, a container of yogurt, 2 cups of skim milk, and a scoop of soy protein powder. Throw it all in a blender, and voila- breakfast! Even my toddler loves it.

Now, you can make this even healthier by using plain fat-free yogurt and adding sweetener. If you don't mind the added cost, you could also use frozen fruit. The protein powder comes in different flavors too- chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.



Here's the thing about the protein though. It specifically says on the label "Do not use for weight reduction." The kind in the picture is for bodybuilders, I guess. But it was on sale. Something in there tends to get me pretty wound up. I don't know if it's the huge dump of protein or some other ingredient. Once I ate a 40-gram fitness protein bar, and I was sick all day. In the past I've always used the Slim-Fast brand of soy protein powder and didn't have a problem. But I haven't seen it at the store in a while, I don't know if they even make it anymore. Anyway, just a word of warning.

Nutrition facts: (per glass)
Calories- 280
Fat- 1.5
Protein- 17
Sugar- 28

Cost- about $1 for one pitcher- makes 2 glasses

4 comments:

Jenni said...

This is ok, but the milkshake post was MUCH more exciting. :) MMMM, ice cream. Chocolate. MMMMMMMM

Sara said...

That looks healthier than my cup of jo every morning. I may have to look into this and actually start using my bullet.

SewSweetStitches said...

Jennie, yes.
Sara, why not combine them? You could freeze some coffee and blend it with the other stuff!

Bonzai Beadwear said...

sounds like a good way to start the day!