Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mint Chocolate Cheesecake

This is my all-time favorite dessert to make. Not only is it pretty darn good, but everyone raves about it and it's kinda unusual, so it's perfect for a dinner party. The best part is that so far I haven't messed one up. And that's sayin a lot! I wish I could credit the genius who authored the original recipe, but I've had it for several years and I have no idea where I got it. Anyway it's been altered quite a bit. If you like creamy cheesecakes instead of the fluffy kind, you'll love this!

Ingredients:
1 package Oreo cookies
1 cup sugar
3 packages (8 0z each) cream cheese, softened
4 eggs
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 package Andes baking chips (or chopped up Andes candy if you can't find that)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9" springform pan.

To make the crust, you'll need to crush up the Oreo cookies into crumbs. I don't have a food processor, so I use a gallon-size ziploc bag and a rolling pin. Only put half of the package of cookies in at a time, and be sure to cover the bag with a towel before you start crunching. When the filling and cookie crumbs have made a nice coarse mush, press them into the bottom and a little up the sides of the pan.

In a large bowl, beat the sugar and cream cheese on medium speed. You'll want to stop every few moments to scrape the sides and bottom. Continue beating while you add the eggs one at a time. After it's all well mixed, stir in the peppermint extract and most of the mint candy by hand. Oh, and if you want to make it prettier, you can add a few drops of green food coloring. The key here is to avoid over-mixing, because then the batter will have too much air and can make it crack while it's baking.

Now pour it over the crust, but don't scrape the sides down. You don't want any un-mixed lumps in your cheesecake.

Before I bake a cheesecake, I make a boiling water bath for it with a roasting pan. It's supposed to stop it from drying out. Or something. If you're using a springform pan, you'll have to make a cover for the bottom with foil so the water won't seep in. I've only been able to make it work with restaurant-sized foil. If I try to put two regular-size pieces together to cover the bottom, it always leaks, no matter how many I use.

Anyway, bake it for 45-55 minutes until the top is firm. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in with the door cracked for an hour or two. Before you put it in the fridge, loosen the sides with a knife and cover it with plastic wrap so that the plastic wrap is touching the surface of the cheesecake.

Before I serve it, I like to make a chocolate ganache with a bar of semi-sweet baking chocolate and some whipping cream. Just boil the cream in a saucepan and stir in chocolate chunks until melted. Then pour it over the cheesecake and sprinkle with the rest of the Andes mints.


Ta-da!


Oh yeah, the cheesecake in the picture has melted white chocolate (tinted green) drizzled over the top. It ain't pretty, but it sure is yummy!


10 comments:

Sara said...

That is pure evilness! I love it! Going in my bag of goodies to fix this holiday. Thanks for sharing!

Bonzai Beadwear said...

omg that looks like heaven!!

Jessica said...

I want some now!

6p010535c8340a970b said...

Ahh .. You're a chocolate mint fan like me. Yay!

Christina said...

Wow!! Looks sooooo good!!

Jesse said...

I wonder: If you used mint Oreos, would your head asplode?

I'd like to think the answer to that question is 'yes'.

PS - the word verification captcha thingy that makes sure I'm not an evil robot spammer posting about mint-Oreo-head-asplody-likeliness for evil purposes presented me with the following, giggle-inducing phrase: "pibic". I had to look twice.

Jesse said...

Also, here's a re-enactment of me eating some of your cheesecake:

Me: (takes bite of cheesecake) "Not too much. We've still got a long way to go!"

SewSweetStitches said...

*howling with laughter*
Jesse I would use mint oreos if I could still find them.

Re: Captcha Fail: http://failblog.org/2009/11/05/epic-fail-captcha-fail/

Splendid Little Stars said...

(The comments are as entertaining as your posts!)
YUM!!!

SewSweetStitches said...

Margaret, meet my brother Jesse. He's quite an entertaining little fella. Hmmm guest blogger?