Thursday, December 31, 2009

Alice Bandwagon

As I watched Alice in Wonderland for the third time today with my little girl, inspiration struck.
I love the part when Alice goes into the White Rabbit's house to look for his gloves. Every little thing is drawn so cute!
Anyone know where I can find pink carrot wallpaper?

Now the truth is that this was one of my least favorite Disney movies as a kid. I mean, it was kind of scary! I remember having an awful sick feeling in my tummy when I was little, as I could totally identify with Alice after being lost in the mall food court for about 10 minutes.

When you watch the same movie over and over, you pick up little things you never noticed before- look at that little carrot wallhanging! I love the way all the furniture and accessories are shaped like bunny ears.

What caught my eye this evening was a framed portrait on the staircase of a rabbit family. This is the best picture I could find:

After Alice eats the cookie and her giant foot catches Mr. Rabbit on the staircase, the picture of the rabbit family with their serious little faces is much clearer.

I was thinking how cute it would be done in embroidery! I love the absurd cuteness of cartoon bunnies posing old-fashioned style for a family portrait. I've been wanting to do some kind of big piece for my shop, and I've been toying with the idea of wallhangings.
Now how to develop an un-trendy spin on it? It seems that ever since the trailer for the new Alice in Wonderland movie came out, it's been all over etsy and possibly out there in the real world. I wouldn't know anything about that though. Of course, embroidery and hoop-framed art seem to be popular right now anyway so I might as well just go with it. On the other hand, I've never tried to embroider anything on canvas or whatever it's called, only on felt. I wonder if this would be too big of a project for my first time?


3 comments:

Tara said...

Aim high - it doesn't matter if it's your first big embroidery project - you'll make it work. and if you do it on felt, it will be different from all the countless embroidered hangings out there - AND go with the brand of your shop!

Good luck!

SewSweetStitches said...

That's a good idea, thanks!

factorygirlashli said...

Love it! Alice in Wonderland was my favorite Disney movie as a child, even though it was scary and I was too afraid of Beauty & the Beast and the Little Mermaid.....

For the walls you could just paint light pink and hand paint a darker pink carrot in a pattern. Or perhaps set up an alchemy request for pink vinyl carrot wall decals on etsy.

And I love the family of rabbits wall hanging! It was one of my favorite parts of that scene! I can't wait to have a little girl to have a room like this!