Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Grandparents, Sheesh!

My little girl has a thing for airplanes, helicopters, trains, and trucks. She loves to "fix" things with a screwdriver, be it real or imaginary. She likes little girl things too, like dolls and tea sets. But the masculine toys are, of course, what her Pappy encourages her to play with. I tried to negotiate a compromise by emailing him a link to the new pink Barbie jet. But alas, he showed up for his daily visit yesterday with a pack of Matchbox airplanes and helicopters. Not that I don't appreciate this grandparent-ish spoiling, I just like pink. (Also I secretly want to play with it myself.) And after all, I'm the one who's going to be tripping over them in the middle of the floor, right?

Munchkin was so thrilled, she screeched at the top of her lungs for a good 10 seconds!


"Come play wif me Pappy! On da fwoor! On da fwoor!"


Then they had to call G.G. (Great Grandma) to tell her all about the new toys.


"Let's play wif mah beeeeads Pappy!"


When Pappy spends all this time with Munchkin, I should be using the free time to do something productive. But I just can't stop watching them play- Pappy (and G.G.) can make her laugh like no one else!

I'm baffled by the amount of patience he has with her. I do try to play with her, but the truth is I can only make a plastic beaded necklace so many times. And I spend forever styling the My Little Ponies' hair into perfection for Munchkin to just come along and mess them all up! Also, everytime we color together she draws all over my page!
Dad says it's different being a grandparent, that over the years you learn to slow down and enjoy things more. But my dad has always been like this. When I was little, I tackled him as soon as he walked in the door from work, begging to go to the park or to help me learn to ride my bike. And he always did. Looking back, I'm amazed at the self-sacrificing attitude my dad showed to us, I mean he must have been exhausted!
Fortunately, Munchkin's step-daddy is madly in love with her and doesn't at all mind being a horsey, or a gorilla, or whatever else she dreams up. That leaves me to be the official snuggler. I can definitely handle cuddling in bed with lots of fluffy pillows and a few books! And boy does she look forward to it. Mention the word "snuggle" around her and she lets out that 10-second shriek, then goes running for her books.

But I guess I'd better grow some patience, since we plan to homeschool Munchkin. Really I feel like I should be starting something like that now, at least getting her used to sitting quietly for a period of time every day. As long as it doesn't include plastic beads!!!

3 comments:

Christina said...

That's a very sweet post. :) My son is obsessed with toy and real cars and his grandpa keeps giving him some too! LOL Yes it does seem the mothering role is more about cuddles and the dad's play more! hehe.

We are blessed to have great fathers. :) (and my mom is wonderful too but just referring to this topic!)

Jessica said...

Aw! Felix can't wait to play with Carly and Pappy too :)

S and O said...

what a cute little kiddie!
Happy Holidays I hope your having a wonderful time with the fam:)
xoxo
Olivia