Thursday, December 17, 2009

Oreo Truffles



My friend Talaya gave me this recipe a few years ago, and it's probably the one I use the most for parties and stuff. It's really easy and everyone loves them! After making them for several years I've adjusted the recipe a little, and fortunately you can't really mess it up!

*Recently I saw the movie Julie and Julia, and I loved it so much I plan to watch it over and over! So as you're reading this, picture me in heels, pearls, and a really silly voice ok?

Ingredients:
1 Package Oreo cookies, crushed
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 Package chocolate candy coating

Mix the crushed oreos, powdered sugar, and softened cream cheese in a large bowl. (I use a stand mixer- you can try getting away with a hand-held mixer, but I'm not sure if it will work stirring it manually.)

Scoop out balls of the Oreo mixture and arrange on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. Refrigerate while you get the chocolate dip ready.



Heat the chocolate in a double boiler. When completely melted and smooth, dip the Oreo balls in and let them dry on the wax paper.

That's pretty much it, unless you want to jazz them up with the white chocolate drizzle:



I melt a bar of white chocolate in the microwave and pour it in a ziploc bag. Then cut off a teeny tiny corner and drizzle across the truffles.

One of the changes I recently tried was to add some chips of white chocolate in with the Oreo mixture. I think it adds some texture and does a lot for the Oreo theme. I put pieces of white chocolate into a food chopper and let it turn to crumbles. Everyone loved it!

Also, I prefer the taste of baking chocolate to the cheap candy coating. If you want to splurge, substitute about 3 boxes of semi-sweet and dark baking chocolate for the candy coating.

Another great thing about this recipe is the flexibility. I haven't seen them around for awhile, but once I used mint oreos and tinted the white chocolate a little green. That was pretty cool. In fact it would probably work with grasshopper cookies instead of Oreos maybe.
Oh and once I used peanut butter oreos and a spoonful of chunky peanut butter. Pretty yummy!

So you get the idea, basically mix just about anything with cream cheese and dip it in chocolate and voila- truffles!


Oreo Truffles


What do you guys like to put in your truffles? Share!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I will be over in 15 minutes, and there had better be some left!!

SewSweetStitches said...

Umm... no. Sorry!

Waterrose said...

Ohhh you are sooo bad. Now I'll have to make these! They look yummy.

S and O said...

those look extremely tasty!
for sure gonna have to try this recipe :)
xoxo,
Olivia

Carolyn said...

Yum! Yours are so pretty. Anything I dip in chocolate in a double broiler never looks as pretty as your creation. :)

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone!
Carolyn, haha- mine always looked like turds until I bought one of those handy little cookie scoops!

Christina said...

Wow!! I want some! :) I will need to try this one out someday.

kittyd said...

Those look yummy! :)

http://kittyd.etsy.com