Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Custom Order and A Plan

This is a custom order for a mother of two darling little girls, twins! They are about to turn two, so she commissioned these matching flower bracelets:

She sent me a photo of her babies, and they are ridiculously cute. I hope they love them!

Aaand... this gives me an idea- Can you picture one of these as a necklace, with brass chain attached to each end? Or maybe a little cluster of three as a pendant?

This is why I love custom orders- they get the ideas flowin!



Speaking of ideas, I want to get your opinion on kits.
I don't remember where on etsy I saw it, but there was an article about finding ways to expand your business. One of the suggestions was to offer a pattern or a kit for your most popular products.

I can't really say that the coffee cup cozy is a best seller, (I don't really have one of those!) But it's just about the only thing I make that isn't just easy-peasy to whip up.





So here's my idea: What if I made a cup cozy kit that included everything you'd need- felt, thread, beads, and needles. The felt would be uncut squares, and stencils would be included. The instructions would be in a cute little printed booklet, complete with some simple beginner embroidery tips.







So, what do you think?

Should I Offer A Cup Cozy Kit?










Thank you so much for your help!

3 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

Okay, let me just say that EVERYTHING you make is absolutely fantastic and inspiring and makes me want to both buy everything in your shop, and also run out to the craft shop, buy loads of felt and floss, and start making my own... so I think assorted kits might be great!

I'd love to make barrettes and bracelets for my girls, and cup cozies for me and to give as gifts... and buying kits is just my sort of thing.

GO FOR IT!

janet said...

We artistic crafters have to throw away the old attitude of "who would want one of my patterns..it's just a cup cozy"..I say go for it..lot's of people would love to make one, they just don't know where to start or don't want to invest in alot of materials. Have fun ...I'll be checking your shop ;-)
your friend,
Janet

Good Girls Studio said...

Love the idea of adding chain to your floral creations for a necklace! & the kit idea would probably be a great idea as well! I know a lot of sellers who do this & it's great because you are marketing to the craft community who typically wouldn't buy a cozy because they would think they could make one themselves & they COULD if they had your kit! Puuuurfect!