Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Poo Cookies


Ok, so they're really called no-bakes. But Poo Cookies sounds much more fun, eh?
I'm sure just about everyone already has some variation of this recipe, but just incase...


Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
stick of butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick-cook oats (NOT, I repeat NOT regular oats!)
vanilla

Before you get started, lay out some foil or wax paper on which to drop the cookies. I kinda prefer foil because the wax paper will leave a waxy circle on your tabletop when the steaming hot cookies make it hot and melty.

Put the sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk in a large-ish saucepan (you'll need lots of room to stir). Also, pick a light-weight one. Like making fudge, now is not the time to play with your Le Creuset.
Before I turn on the heat, I measure out the oats and peanut butter in a separate bowl.

Turn the saucepan on high heat and keep stirring until the butter is completely melted. Don't stop stirring!

The key here is to cook the chocolatey stuff for just the right amount of time. So it's important for your butter stick to be cold when it goes into the saucepan. By the time it's all melted, the mixture will be thick and bubbly.
I don't know why, but if it's not cooked long enough the cookies will be dry and crumbly. I think the sugar doesn't dissolve enough or something, because they taste grainy and not as sweet. You'll know if you did it right when you go to scoop them out. If they're super shiny and they plop down and spread out in a gooey pile, that's good. If they hold their scooped shape and are kinda dull and flat in color, you may end up with granola instead of cookies.

Anyway, as soon as your chocolatey mixture is ready, take it off the burner and dump in the oats/peanut butter and stir stir stir. Also you can add a dash of vanilla if you wanna get fancy. Then go directly to your prepared scooping station and scoop scoop scoop.

One of the perks (ok, the only perk) of being the cookie maker is getting to eat all the little drips before your family sees them!




They're probably my family's all time favorite dessert. Walmart's bakery sells them in a peanut butter flavor. Do you have any variations of this recipe?
What's your family's favorite dessert? Post your recipe link!

2 comments:

Fyrecreek said...

Your little "these are yours" picture made me laugh so hard! I always do that when I'm baking (claim the bits!). Now I know I'm entitled!

I'll have to try this, they look yummy!

Good Girls Studio said...

You are an evil evil woman posting these cookies ;) Last time I made them, I doubled the recipe & still ate the whole batch in 2 days! They are like crack! Crack I tell you ! :)