Monday, January 4, 2010

Starting out the new year....

....waaaay in the red!
Not part of my business plan.

I recently went shopping with my grandma, and we made a special trip to The Bead Circus, a fabulous little bead shop in Lebanon, Ohio. She needed beads to match a new pendant, and I didn't plan on buying anything.
I know, hilarious, right?

I do want to do some jewelry for my etsy shop. I like to make jewelry just for fun, but I pretty much wear the same necklace all the time. Occasionally I'll make something as a gift, but none of my friends really share my taste in colors or jewelry. I have a hard time picking things out in other peoples' style.

Anyway, I figured I'd try a few pieces in my current shop, and if they sold I could open a second shop just for non-embroidered jewelry. Up until last weekend, this idea was kind of way off in the future. I don't have time to stitch things for my current shop as it is!
But when I saw these, I just couldn't stop myself.

The chunky stones are dyed howlite, and the round cream ones are riverstone. The other strands are glass.





I've been wanting to try working with leather for a long time, and at a recent trip to the craft store I gave in. I was only there for a little string of beads for a different project, and when I passed the leather aisle I could no longer resist.


I think my first project will be a beaded cuff. I might lay the turquoise chips flat and stack a coral bead on top, then stitch it together with a tiny turquoise seed bead. I also have some really pretty turquoise leather lace that would look so cool blanket-stitched around the edge, but that may involve punching holes with a special tool, which of course was a zillion dollars. Well ok, more like $9, but I'm pretty much at my supply funds limit for awhile.




Really this is the last thing I need to be doing for my shop. There are dozens of embroidery ideas I have yet to implement, and a lot of sold things that I want to remake. Plus the boutique that has some of my hairclips has been asking for cup cozies and other things.
And in a few weeks we'll be moving, so crafting will be at the bottom of the to-do list!

Anyone have a few spare hours they'd like to donate?!

3 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

I totally, totally relate! sigh.... I am thinking of using some of my craft supplies as decor, such as bowls of beads, fabric swatches. I will have to check out that store in Lebanon. Your cuff project sounds interesting.

Sara said...

Love the purchases! Time is a rare commodity. I hear ya. Good luck!

Tara said...

that howlite is gorgeous! it is so hard to stick to just the branded style we've created.