Thursday, February 18, 2010

Living Room Makeover

Ok, so the pictures aren't the greatest (I still can't find my flash!) And the room isn't completely finished yet, but here's an idea of what it looks like:

DSC_0019

Eventually there will be a white shelf above the sofa to hold my bright-colored Fiesta pitchers and maybe a painting. I can't wait to see how they look against the turquoise wall!
(And ya, that ugly black snake-y thing is definitely a cable wire. The sofa would only fit on the wall with the cable hook-up, so until we figure something out I'll just have to stare at -and trip over- the cord running across the floor!)

The red bookcase holds all our movies and cd's too. The green and white boxes (Ikea!) are great for organizing all kinds of stuff.

I reeeeally love these lights...
...And these curtains!
The lanterns hanging from the curtain rod have little tea light candles in them. The glass panels look so pretty and sparkly when the sun sets.

The lights were a tough thing to choose. The living room didn't have any overhead lights, and I didn't want to add more floor lamps. Ikea had these really cool lamp kits for $4- you just hang up the cord, add a light bulb, and plug it in. Almost all of their lampshades are reversible so they can be hung as a pendant lamp. I didn't think I'd like those paper shades at first, because they look kinda modern to me, and that's not really my style. But they're so pretty against the blue wall!

I'm sooo excited about the curtains. They match the room perfectly, and I even have some fabric left over from hemming them. I think I'll use it on a throw pillow for the sofa!

DSC_0029

Here's the tv stand, also bought at Ikea. It's very modern-ish, but I like the contrast of the shiny metal with the antique quilt. It makes me think of something that might have been salvaged and re-purposed, but with shelves for video games and a place for cords and wires.

Here's the hallway. The picture ledge (yep, Ikea!) is full of my little girl's artwork. She gets a kick out of having her own little gallery, and I love seeing them every time I walk past.

DSC_0034

So this is what I've been doing the past couple weeks, and it's the only room that's semi-finished! What d'ya think?
The craft room will definitely be next. I can't wait to get back into an etsy routine!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome!

sewmeow said...

Totally up to date! and don't ya just love it when you do it yourself! Congrats.

janet said...

Oh...I think the wonderful artwork and those fabulous drapes are my favorite!!! Well done!

Christina said...

Very cheery! I like it!! Great colors/decor. :)

Violet Bella said...

thanks so much for the sweet comment! i spent hours and hours finding the perfect background (i am very picky) and then i spent many more hours researching how to do it on my own b/c i could not pay someone to do mine! so really, anyone can do it if you spend the time researching!!! i do not know computer stuff that well!

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everybody! Oh if only I had more rooms to play with- Oh, and an unlimited budget!