Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Creative Process: Non-Conformist, Party of One

A little bit about a new necklace that will be posted in the shop soon, and a lot of ranting about how lame I am when it comes to fashion:

Where did the inspiration for this pendant come from? Er... from where did the inspiration for this pendant come? (Sorry Mom!)

I dunno.
Basically I took a fancy to this little rose button, and compared it to all the shades of pink felt in my stash until I found some I liked. I guess it was kind of styled after the Romance Button necklace, but the plain round shape was too blah for this button. So I went with the oval cameo-ish look. After the leaves were added and the rose button stitched in place, I thought about what to do with the blank areas. I couldn't find any vintage buttons that were small enough or looked right, so I hit the bead box.
Then a bit of decorative stitching was added to the edges, and ta-da!


Well, not exactly. I got to thinking about how, although I personally like the piece, it doesn't really fit with the etsy look. And I hate that! Specifically, that:
a. It even crossed my mind,
b. that an etsy look even exists, and
c. that I don't fit with it, even though I resent it.

So I tried to imagine what would appeal to the etsy crowd...
Got it!
Bits of lace tied in random spots. That's right, the kids these days, they just love bits of lace and other little scraps of odd things tied to their jewelry. Now, I'm not anti-lace or anything, I mean I am a girl after all. I just haven't quite caught on yet to the appeal of a carefully planned piece of wearable art with thoughtfully placed components featuring a bit of lace tied to one side. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll get there soon.

I mean, my fashion sense isn't exactly on par with... well, any standard! Just the other week I gave in and bought a pair of skinny jeans. Boy did I think I was cool. Then I promptly tucked them into my cowboy boots a la Hank Jr and gleefully stamped off in public. I know, your faces are probably burning in embarrassment for me right now.

So, far be it from me to judge the discriminating taste of my own generation. I'm sure this will go down in the history books as the decade of Random Lace Bits (RLB for short) Yes, just like that chapter in 6th grade about the popularity of drive-in theaters, or the year of the family roadtrip thanks to the affordability of personal automobiles, there will be an entire pop culture subheading immortalizing the phenomenon of RLB. And owls dressed in cowls with fingerless gloves. I blame this all on Anthropolgie. (I saw like four RLB necklaces on there!) Ok ok, I drool over most of their stuff too. But seriously, they could knot a necktie around their foreheads like a head wound patient, charge $32, and the masses will be fighting to emulate the look.

What? That's already happened?*

(The product description makes me snicker: "...this shantung stunner is a heroic way to top gallant ensembles." Gallant ensembles? Like, in a war? Yep, you'll look heroic alright!)

And so on went the RLB. Although I couldn't resist tying mine in actual bow and tacking on another little trinket.


Does this make me a sell-out? I'm an artist dadgumit! But first and foremost, I am the provider of the family toilet paper fund. And good gravy forbid my loved ones run short of toilet paper to satisfy my own personal sense of uniqueness. Also, if someone old before their time after my own heart decides they like this necklace despite the RLB, they can just untie it. Win-win. And it funds a bulk pack of toilet paper. That's a win-win-win.



ps. I may have given in this time, Evil Trend, but you will never make me wear those ugly hoof-bootie things. Never!!!
pps. Yeah I know I just lost all my cattle footwear-loving, owl-obsessed, foreheadband-wearing followers. Look don't me mad, I'm just jealous. And you're all way prettier than me.
ppps. I too find users of excessive post scripts annoying.

*In honor of these with-it trendsetters, one of my favorite songs:







Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones





6 comments:

Good Girls Studio said...

Melissa,I haven't laughed this hard all week! My 2 cents...if you don't like it, don't make it. The cameo part is beautiful on it's on...Just say'n, not hate'n...I love me some random lace bows : )

Ps: I don't own skinny jeans so you are waaaay cooler than I :)

{hugs}
Johanna

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

I think it looks great! Of course, I like the RLB, haha (I also like skinny jeans tucked into cowboy boots!).

janet said...

Lovely..Lovely..Lovely! Well done ;-)

ElegantSnobbery said...

I have two things to say.

Firstly, YOU ROCK your non-conformity. And that necklace is gorgeous, no matter how non-Etsy you might think it looks!

And second - when I started selling my art on Etsy, I was one of the only artists who used bright colors. Etsy doesn't typically do bright when it comes to art, if you haven't already noticed. I was also the only seller with sock monkey artwork (there are more now... its become a trend) two years ago. I'm not saying I started the trend, cuz sock monkeys have been around for ages, but back when I was beginning, my mom used to say "Well, if you want to sell on Etsy, you should tone your art down. Don't do sock monkey pictures because no one is buying them..."

But I'm a non-conformist, too, so I kept them in my shop. And I sell. And my insanely bright prints have been on the FP numerous times!

So just you wait... you'll be the next trend. Already, I think you have one of the BEST Etsy shops (fangirl!!!) and I love everything you do!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Okay, that comment didn't look so long before I posted, I swear.

Courtney said...

I posted a comment yesterday,but its gone. WAH! *stomps out of the room in my hoof booties* (I dont know what those are,actually...but I MAY own a pair-dont hate me!)