Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Beaded Rose Necklace Tutorial

This is one of the necklaces I made for my bridesmaids. Each necklace matched the color of their dress, so there was also a yellow rose with yellow gemstones (I forgot which kind I used!) and a white rose with blue lace agate gemstones. They all had a strand of creamy glass pearls, and matching earrings.

The roses were real rose blossoms that were preserved in some kind of hardening resin. I bought them on etsy, from Royalprincess.
Aren't they fantastic?

It was a great alternative to the typical monogrammed bridal party gifts, and I had a great time making them. It wasn't necessarily cheaper than the traditional gifts, but it was definitely worth it- They still wear them!
Of course, the necklace can be made with beads other than gemstones, and there are all kinds of things you could use as a focal piece instead of a preserved rose. Here's how!

This necklace can be made with a variety of focal pieces- The preserved rose, a handmade rolled fabric rose, or (for instant gratification) a store-bought flower.

Materials:
strand of large beads (I used about a dozen 7mm freshwater pearls)
strand of smaller beads
large jumprings
medium jumprings (6mm)
small jumprings
clasp
chain
eyepins or headpins
jewelry pliers

These came from Michaels, the brand is Plaid and the line is called "Pearls & Pumps." The whole line is really pretty!


The store-bought flower had a pinback already attached, so I peeled that off and cut away the glue as best I could without damaging the felt back. Then I stabbed two opposing holes with a large embroidery needle, inserted two large jumprings, and closed them.

If you're using a handmade flower, you can sew two little loops for jumprings on opposing sides with strong thread.
If you're using a resin-preserved rose, you'll need to drill two very tiny holes on either side for the jumprings to go through. (See bridesmaid necklace photos)

Set your flower aside and begin assembling the beaded part.

You're all probably much better eye-pin-makers than me (I'm awful!) But just in case you're new to beading, here's how I do it:

If you're using eye pins, half your work has been done- thread the bead on and cut the pin at about 1/4" after the bead. With the tip of the pliers, grip the pin as close to the bead as you can and twist your wrist to make a 90 degree bend in the pin.
(If you're using headpins, you'll need to cut off the head and make an extra loop before threading the bead.)


To form the loop, grip the end of the pin with the pliers and roll the pin around the tip back towards the bead.



Make about a dozen, then begin connecting them with small jumprings until the strand is as long as you'd like.

A note about using jumprings: Always open and close them by twisting in opposite directions, never pulling apart.

Now repeat with the smaller beads and medium jumprings.

The second strand with smaller beads should be a tad bit shorter so that it will drape right, so hold them up to yourself in a mirror and experiment with the lengths.

When you get them how you like, connect one side together with a medium jumpring and close it around the large jumpring on the flower. Connect the opposite side with a medium jumpring also.



Cut two lengths of chain (I made mine about 5" each)

Attach one length to the flower with a medium jumpring, and the other length to the plain side.


Finally, attach the clasp pieces with jumprings to the other ends of the chain lengths.

Ta da!


And since that was so quick and easy and you probably have a ton of leftovers, why not make a little pair of dangly earrings too?

Do you like it? You can win it!

Stay tuned, I'm doing a giveaway for this gray flower necklace and also a giveaway for a kit with everything you need to make a cream-colored version of this necklace!

15 comments:

Aleutie said...

Oh thank you for the tutorial - very comprehensive, good for a rookie like me.

Linda said...

I really like this tutorial and I entered the giveaway.

Shanna+Phil said...

This is amazing!
Its just what ive been looking for! my BMs will love it :D

CraftyMummy said...

I was just looking at similar necklaces in the shops yesterday, but I'll have to have a go at making one :) Also linking to you on my blog

The Tripp Family said...

so beautiful! thank you for the tutorial, I have been wanting to make one but didn't know where to start!

Resurrection Rags said...

very nice tutorial! thank you.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

This is a great tutorial! I left you some link love on my blog since I used your tutorial to make a necklace of my own. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

hi - you lost me between the picture of the round nose pliers gripping the wire with a bead on it and the pile of nicely finished beads.

HELP???

lynnduvall2003@yahoo.com or
Lynn Thompson Duvall on Facebook

thanks ...

HJC Editor said...

Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/

Melissa Marro said...

I wanted to let you know that I just linked to your tutorial in this post. For YOU – A bunch of flowers – one dozen flower tutorials – http://creatingthehive.com/blog-post/174849/for-you-a-bunch-of-flowers

Megan Colebank said...

i ca not wait to make this!!! just beautiful! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beauty!!!

Thanks for sharing!

~Renee

Jewelie Dee said...

Lovely project! Very adaptable, too.

Jewelie Dee
www.anearringaweek.wordpress.com

Danijela Jurenec said...

Very beautiful and elegant necklace. Grey is my color and it suits with my wardrobe perfectly. I'm gonna make one this week. Thank you for this tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at how to make one of these. Thank you - this makes me think I can actually do it! Beautiful.