Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bold Inspiration

Earlier this week I was experiencing a crafty version of writer's block. Remember the garden embroidery book and all those fabulous little stitched flowers? Well I tried it out and failed miserably. I think maybe it was the tiny-ness of it all, and following directions exactly that got me down. So I grabbed a big fat piece of luxurious wool felt and began to sculpture something new. And when I say big, I mean really big.
Lately I've been admiring the boldness of two of my favorite etsy shops, ThreadRare and Pretty Good Things. Let me show you...

Jill of ThreadRare has the most exquisite taste! She uses luxuriant silk to create her daring but elegant accessory works of art.



(Isn't this gorgeous??!! She also has an art deco version I'm madly in love with!)

What I love about her style is the scale. Why should feminine and classy hair pieces be small and dainty? So I kept that in mind, and I was also thinking about...

Mary of Pretty Good Things makes the most imaginative hair accessories ever! I'm just waiting for Lady GaGa to discover her and make her a super famous designer!

I want that deer on my head. Really bad.
Isn't she amazing? She's absolutely fearless and I love her creative style.

So these awesome designers are giving me a push in a different direction as far as hair accessories go. Not necessarily in the way of height or exotic materials, but in scale. I've been working on this new piece all week, an hour here and an hour there, and I can't wait to show you. It's a little wacky for me, so I hope you don't laugh!
I wish I could take a picture of the progress so far but I have a nasty virus and I'm not moving from this bed!

No comments: