Monday, April 5, 2010

Embroidery Mystery Project

Ok guys, seriously, I need your help. What the heck is this thing???

Considering I'm the one who made it, you think I'd know. But that's the result of my freeform sculpting, and I stupidly thought I could pull off the drama hair accessory look from yesterday's lovely inspirations. This thing is about 6 inches across. This morning when my brother came over to drop off the baby, I held it up to my head and asked him what he thought. He gave me a look of disbelief and said, "A lily pad?"
(A little brother is a good person to ask about your stuff. Not at all like a husband, who will smile and nod and say that everything you make is fabulous.)

Great, so totally not what I'd envisioned.
I'd envisioned something exotic, a true fashion statement, something that would wind up on etsy's front page and would have the eclectic fashion hipsters throwing virtual money at me. Something like this:

So what should it be? A gigantor brooch? A monstrous necklace pendant?
How about a little handbag?

I could stitch the floral mystery piece to the front side, and cover the rest with funky embroidery. Probably the pink side? Problem is I'm an awful sew-er, and I can't imagine what kind of closure would suffice but a zipper (which I am NOT attempting,) and there would be a lining and a strap... *sigh* That sounds overwhelming.
What do you guys think?

13 comments:

BleuRoo said...

Well, it's lovely, I know that much! Maybe just use it as an applique and attach to it a premade tote bag or purse? Or attach it to some cardstock and frame it as some awesome wall art :)

telma said...

oooo right away i pictured that on the bottom left hand corner of a knitted sweater or tank... it would look amazing. I also thought that it should be framed in something like a shadow box. it's definitely art and i could stare at that for hours. it beautiful.

Telma

Down To Earth News said...

It sure is pretty

A book cover for a journal???

Jo Ann, pottery123

ThreadRare said...

If you want to use it on a handbag, make a simple envelope clutch. No strap, no zipper. I say go for the hair accessory, but you know me... ;)

Jesse said...

You neglected to mention that after "lily pad" I proffered "coaster", by which I still stand.

Sara said...

I have a pretty felted purse it would look perfect on! ;) I think it looks gorgeous! Good luck and can't wait to see what you decide.

janet said...

ThreadRare is so right....simple is better with something so special!!

Beth said...

Are you in the mood to do a couple more? I think it would look amazing on a black canvas tote. Maybe do 2 more in contrasting colors and sizes. Really beautiful!

debbs ~ keoi ~ said...

stick a pin on it and voila! a broach for a cardigan ;)

Mary P. said...

I'm with ThreadRare - hair accessory! But I also like the idea of framing it or on a journal cover or as a broach. So really, I am no help here. :)

liznoonan said...

wallet? book cover? really anything! it beautiful!

Carapace said...

Well, *I* would wear it in my hair! Little brothers may be honest, but what do they know from fashion?!?

Seriously. Give it here, I'll wear it in my hair. I'll send a picture, if you like!;D

DaisyBlueStore said...

I absolutely love the colors! It would look lovely on a tote/purse. :)