Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mystery Embroidery Project- Finished!

After I posted the unfinished project to the blog, and also to an etsy forum thread, I got some great responses! Thank you so much everyone! Top ideas:

- Tote bag/Purse/Clutch
- Stitched to a tank top or tee
- Framed/Shadowbox
- Stitched to a throw pillow
- Book cover
- Brooch
- DIY applique

I got pretty excited at the prospect of having any of those new things in my shop, and I want to do them all! But I was so anxious to get it listed and see what happens that I went with the simplest option, and that was....
*drumroll*


Hair clip. Well, fascinator to be specific.
It kinda reminds me of the half hats from the.. uhh... 50's? 40's? I'm not up on my fashion history sorry! I really love them though, and if I was good at sewing I would make them out of wool and embroider cutesy birds and stuff on the side. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm especially loving the DIY applique idea. I mean, it would look awesome on a tank or tee, but then I'd have to fiddle with which kind of garment buyers prefer, and multiple sizes, hassle hassle. And people love to make things themselves, especially when it's quick and easy, right? But then I run into the pricing issue.

I could be very wrong here, but I get the feeling that people will pay $40 for a really unique hair thingie, but they wouldn't pay that much for an applique. Likewise, they might pay $60 for unique wall art, but they wouldn't pay that much for a hair thingie. Even though the same amount of materials and work into each piece, it's the value of the finished product that differs.
That's why I have such a hard time pricing my cup cozies. I can easily spend an entire day constructing one coffee cup cozy, but who wants to pay $40 for a cup cozy? If I took the same materials and turned it into a wall hanging though, I don't think it would be a problem.

Also I've been using merino wool felt lately, which is indescribably wonderful! The quality compared to eco felt is amazing. It's plush but firm, and the fibers are packed so well that I can do so much more in detail. I feel so much more confident in offering my products made of wool, and my creativity is running crazy with all the things I could do with it! Problem is, it's about $2 per sheet compared to 25 cents with the acrylic stuff. That's still relatively cheap as far as craft supplies go, but I feel like I'm already struggling to charge what my items are really worth to me. *sigh*
What do you guys think?

6 comments:

FruitsOFtheBLooM.etsy.com said...

Melissa, I absolutely adore this hair accessory! I'm into Gigantor statements (not for myself, but to look at on others). Shhh...don't tell anyone that a hair accessory designer wears NO hair accessories. >.< ;o)

I just made a huge 5 inch diameter headband thingy (which I posted on my Fan Page) and I LOVE it! Heck, I'm happy looking at it on my shelf wrapped around a vase.

But I definitely think you should make some of these (maybe a set of 2 offbeat and different but similar hued funky pieces) and frame them for wall art. Your work is so gorgeous and fun to have hanging out in your house!

Love seeing all your new things!

xox,
Loren

FruitsOFtheBLooM.etsy.com said...

Oh, and on the front of a funky pillow? You could buy simple pillows already sewn from T. J. Maxx clearance or some place like Big Lots.

Sorry for the multiple comments.

-L

randomcrafter said...

Your stitching is beautiful and color choices are so bright and cheerful. Lovely!

liznoonan said...

i love this! i think you should look into making hats, seriously, this would make a great hat! hmmm...pricing can be funny...did you do any comparisons on Etsy? It's WAY more than just a hair thingie....it's something else on its own...

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks everyone! Loren you're such a sweetie, and I love the pre-made pillow idea!

Gargi said...

Oooh! This is such a lovely piece. How about stitching it on a nice fabric belt (waist band), it would look awesome. I know I'm late for any suggestion ;)