Monday, April 26, 2010

Wedding Recipe: Rollo Pretzel Snacks

I'm sorry I've been so quiet, I'm still sick! In fact it got worse, with hacking green stuff and... oh wait, we're talking about food here, sorry! hehe...

Thank goodness my dad is helping me out with his recipe for his favorite snack, pretzel-rollo-pecan-thingies.
Everybody has Rollos, right? No, not the kind on my tummy. The soft candy that comes wrapped in a roll, and it has caramel in the middle? Good, ok...

Here they are on the dessert buffet at my wedding (top tier.) They're the perfect combination of chewy, crunchy, sweet, and salty!


What you need:
Bag of Rollos
Mini pretzel twists
Nuts - Cashews are excellent, but Pecans work very well, even Macadamia nuts

Stoke up your oven to 175 or 180 degrees.

While the oven is heating up, take a baking sheet (use a larger one if ya wanna make alot) and lay down the mini pretzel twists. If you want to make alot, pack in the pretzels as tight as you can.

Unwrap the Rollos and place one on each pretzel. When you have done all of them, slip the baking sheet in the oven. I use the middle rack.

In about 5 minutes, check to see if they are soft enough. You can do this by taking a nut and pressing down on the chocolate. If it is ready, you will be able to "squish" the nut into the chocolate. Sample 2 or 3 around the baking sheet.

When they are soft enough, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Start pressing nuts into the soft Rollo. They stay soft for a surprisingly long time. When you press the nut in, it helps to have the rollo spread into and all about the pretzel. The nut should also be well enveloped by the chocolate to secure well.

It takes a while to cool, it probably is pretty firm in 2 to 3 hours at room temperature. Placing them in a refrigerator will speed it up greatly. I suspect that chilling them also helps in prying them off the sheet.

Enjoy!
Dad.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

OMG! my mouth is seriously watering right now....think I better go tot he store...smiles.

ElegantSnobbery said...

YUM

Good Girls Studio said...

Yummm...drool all over my keyboard!

Christina said...

Looks delicious!!! I hope you feel better Melissa!

janet said...

Put pretzels and chocolate together and I am sooooo there!