Saturday, May 29, 2010

This Could Be A Great Weekend To...

...Start a journal.

Do you already write in a journal or diary? Maybe you need to catch up! 
Like I said yesterday, I used to write every day. Nothing artistic, just about what happened during the day and how I felt. Every year I got a new one. That was really exciting, picking something out from the bookstore. Sometimes my parents would give me one as a gift. Here are a few of my favorites through the years:

Especially when I was sad or confused, it really helped to sort things out on paper. Last week when I cleaned out my closet, I vowed I would toss all my old journals. But of course I just had to open one and take a peek, and what I read made me so ashamed of who I used to be. Reliving what I had been through was a harsh reminder of reality, not the good things I choose to remember. And at the bottom of that box was a stack of pages I had actually torn out of the journals during the divorce. They were filled with such horrible events that I thought I could completely erase them by destroying the pages. But I just couldn't bring myself to throw them out, and now I'm glad I didn't. I decided to keep the journals, just in case I ever forgot how things really used to be and how fortunate I am now.

Anyway, lately I've been reading about Wreck This Journal, have you ever heard of it? Sounds like a great way to get your creativity going!

Also I think art journaling has become pretty popular, the gals at Red Velvet Art even had an online class recently. I'd like to try it, because it might be a good way to get back into journaling. I'm just afraid I'll enjoy it too much, and it will become another time-sucking hobby to feel guilty about!


If you already have a journal, do you use it strictly for getting down your thoughts, or to document your daily life? Do you use it as a sketchbook? Do you add photos and mementos? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

I have journaled on and off for years....and then I did "the Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron....check it out sometime....morning pages open up creativity....smiles.

Chasity said...

Thanks for sharing. Our pastor has been encouraging us to journal for some time now. And I constantly think about starting one ... hint, the word THINK. Then I try to find the "right" journal and can't ... yadda yadda yadda. I recently read the book The Help and one of the main characters kept a daily journal that she used for writing her prayers - again I was encouraged -- but did nothing.

I think I'm finally going to do it -- I have to realize that it doesn't have to be PERFECT. I can just start.

Thanks!

Darlene Servolini said...

Thank you SOOOO much for that AWESOME link to Wreck This Journal!!!! I think I am in love! haha.

I don't keep a journal, but I've wanted to for a while. I just don't know where to start and I'm not sure how dedicated I would be to it, so it throws me off before even beginning page one. Bleh. Any advice?

SewSweetStitches said...

I think that's why I like the idea of Wreck This Journal. There's no way to mess it up, it's not meant to be perfect, and it looks like a great way to kickstart your creativity. I like the photos that show random thoughts and drawings. It's never occurred to me that journaling can be something other than just plain words!