Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chub Rub

I hate to be one of those girls who's always yammering on about losing weight, but. Still. I have to! (In other news, spellcheck is perfectly comfortable with the word yammering.)
Here's a new reason why.

Yesterday, during our Bible ministry, as my chubby thighs were chafing in the ninety-degree heat, somebody had the bright idea to stop and climb the Miamisburg Mound. It's a burial ground or something, a small mountain with a whole heck of a lot of steps. 


You'd think I'd be cool with that, considering I climb four flights of stairs to get to my apartment, but not in the blazing sun! And I was wearing high heels. But I did it. And instantly regretted it as I hung on to the rail for dear life trying to make my way back down on shaking jelly legs.


Oh and btw, Michelle, I know you're reading this and laughing. I heard that you stop and climb it all the time, in heels and stockings! But you're in awesome shape, so it doesn't count.

As soon as we got home, I crawled into bed and was nearly unconscious for several hours. When I woke up, my thighs were still shaking. I could barely make it to the kitchen to open the package of Chips Ahoy coconut chocolate chip cookies.
But seriously, Chub Rub is the last straw. I will not buy baby powder for my thighs, I just won't! Everyone has always told me that someday I won't be able to eat whatever I want and stay thin. Someday it would catch up with me. 
That day has come, with chafing thighs and all.

And it's not even entirely about the new, more plush version of myself. In a group of six people, most of them older than me, I was the only one gasping for air when I got to the top. I was the only one who moaned like a gunshot victim all the way back to the car. I don't think anyone else even broke a sweat! These people are definitely in shape.
I tried controlling my calorie intake. I bought only fresh ingredients with which I could make meals under three hundred calories each. And I really stuck to it, for several days anyway. But it just made me feel like crap. I was always hungry, always crabby and shaky. I didn't even feel like standing up, let alone working out. So maybe this time I'll stop focusing on the diet so much and work on the exercise part. I mean, I'll still try to eat only low calorie, high protein foods, but I'll worry more about getting in shape than staying under twelve hundred calories.

Or maybe when my health insurance kicks in I'll just ask my doctor if it covers diet pills. :)

5 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

Chub Rub.... ahahaha, I've never heard it called that before. Oh man, I remember the thigh chafing... ow.

Weight Watches worked for me!! I went from a 16 (post pregnancy) back to a small size 6, and it didn't take long at all! But I did stick to the diet... I love and adore WW.

Also, that mound is AWESOME! I didn't know there were mounds like that in the states. In the UK, those are said to be fairy mounds. :)

Christina said...

You can do it!
No to diet pills, and no to such a low calorie plan! :P Just exercise and eat mostly normal! That will do the job. I have a long long long ways to go, i am a chafing queen and have been most of my life! I don't remember not chafing.

janet said...

The secret is ridding your diet of excess refined sugar and white carbs. Your Glycemic index is what you need to be concerned about. One of the best eating regimens to follow is to eat how a diabetic would eat. Processed foods are also your enemy...too many additives stress your liver and your adrenal glands. We woman rarely pay attention to our blood sugar levels and that's exactly what you should look at when trying to loose weight. Never mind the calorie counting and fat free stuff...just eat a healthy diet of lean meats,veggies, whole grains and good fats (nuts..olive oil) and ween your self off added sugar and the weight will come off...I know it works..I'm doing it.
Good luck!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

ZOMG! I didn't know you lived near Miamisburg! I grew up in Centerville/Kettering and my Grandparents live in Miamisburg. They used to take me to the mound when I was a kiddo!

Kit said...

I know you don't want to use baby powder, but Monostat makes this amazing chafe relief cream, that turns into a baby powder likeness and is amazing.