Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Recipe: White Chicken Chili

 I know that's not the most appetizing image, but trust me, it's delicious!

It's storming reeeally hard in Ohio, and this would be so good right now! I don't know why, but hearty soups and stuff like that sound yummy when it rains.

This is a conglomerate (cool word!) of recipes from around the interwebs. I wanted to make white chili, so I found a recipe and wrote down the ingredients. But I forgot to bookmark the recipe and I couldn't find it again, so I just threw together what I had bought, plus a few other things I found lying around.
 
Ingredients:
  • Fat free chicken broth
  • Canned sliced carrots
  • White beans
  • Chicken breast
  • Chopped spinach
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Half-and-half
  • Fat free sour cream
  • Any kind of white cheese
1. Cut the chicken breast into large chunks and poach.
2. While the chicken is cooking, saute the chopped onion and garlic in butter
3. Put the cream, beans, spinach, carrots, and broth in a stockpot to simmer.
4. When the chicken and onion/garlic is finished cooking, add them to the stockpot.
5. Remove from heat. Just before serving, stir in the sour cream and cheese.

That's it! Mine turned out a little grainy, which my husband didn't mind but kind of bothered me. I'm all about texture. I think it might have been because I put the sour cream in too soon. Sometimes when I cook with fat free ingredients, they make the texture a little off. (Or sometimes very off!) Maybe it was because I used grated parmesan? It was all I had on hand.
Well anyway, it tasted wonderful. I think it's pretty low fat and packed with protein. You can make a huge batch for about $15, and have yummy leftovers for several days!

2 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

YUMmmmmmm! I have to try that!

janet said...

I am a one pot meal addict and this looks yummy!