Saturday, June 5, 2010

This Could Be A Great Weekend To...

 ...Get lost in the works of Jane Austen!


Have you ever noticed that you pick up the style of an author's writings in your speech and thoughts when you are wholly consumed in a good book? This week I've been enjoying several Jane Austen novels while I stitch thanks to a free audiobook website, Gutenberg.org. * Therefore, I am acutely aware of a tendency toward long sentences of refined nonsese. The other day, I actually said fortnight. *shudder* I can't stop "having" tea, and I think I'm even sitting up straighter. 

The neat thing about working while listening to a book is, besides never wanting stop working, that I am able to recall parts of a story for each piece of stitching. The cupcake on my recent cozy is reminiscent of Mr. Darcy's proposal of ardent admiration and love. The little birdie recalls Mrs. De Bourgh's comical visit, and even the entire photography and listing process is a memento of the anticipation of Elizabeth's and Darcy's happy ending.

Anyway, Gutenberg.org has available all the classic titles of which copyright has expired. After I finish all of Miss Austen's, I think I'll go through the Anne of Green Gables series! Here in Ohio, the weekend is rainy and gloomy, which is perfectly fine with  me. What a great weekend it would be to curl up with some classics!
(You can tell I'm a bit partial to Pride and Prejudice!)


What's your favorite Jane Austen novel?

*A note about using Gutenberg.org: The website is at first confusing. I found it easiest to select audio books, then choose a book, then find the largest file listed from the main site. This ensures that you're downloading the entire book, which will take longer, but you will not have to stop midway to acquire the remaining chapters.

7 comments:

ArtTales said...

Any day is a good day to get lost in Jane Austen's stories :))

jenni said...

Persuasion!

Kristopher K Design said...

Ooo - What a fabulous idea - I like all the June Austen novels - how to pick a fave? If i had to - it would be a tie between Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility - Have a great weekend, Cheers Kris

La Bella Vie said...

beautiful post and I love this blog, I'm now following fervently to see what's next...
Terry

ElegantSnobbery said...

PERSUASION!! Oh man, I am hopelessly in love with Captain Wentworth.

And hahaa, I turned my hubs into a huge Jane Austin fan (she's just so witty and he loves that) and after we watch a movie, he usually talks all British-y. Which is normal for him, b/c he IS British... but for some reason, when he's done watching a JA movie with me, he starts speaking in a Shakespearean accent. Haha. Cracks me up.

Andrea M. said...

I love all things Austen-and I have the exact same book you photographed. My favorite would have to be Emma. Did you see the recent PBS version on TV? GORGEOUS!

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks ladies!

@Marisa: LOL! That's hilarious!

@Andrea: No! I really need to get it from netflix or something. I've only seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version