Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Keep Calm and Fake A British Accent

...Just one of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" parodies found on Etsy. Why do they suddenly amuse me so?
My husband lost his job this week, and I am admittedly freaking out. Just a little.



I haven't had an actual job since we got married. It's not like we didn't need the second income, I'm just too much of a wimp to deal with a small child and working outside of home. I had a decent job, but I quit when we got married because of migraines, asthma, and just general freaking-out-ness. Ever since, I haven't had any of those complaints, so I never really considered going  back to work. Plus I had hopes of my etsy shop being able to supplement his income, especially when it gets closer to the big shopping season.



Prior to my decent job at a credit card bank, I worked at a bakery/coffee shop for about seven years, and I know I'll always have a job waiting for me there. It wasn't such a bad job. Even though I'm not really a people person, I enjoyed being in charge and the satisfaction of keeping the place clean. (Ya, I have control issues haha) 


The issue is figuring out a shift opposite my husband so that one of us will always be with Carly. I absolutely refuse to put her in any kind of daycare, and I hate to impose on friends and family. And I'll be really disappointed to take any time away from my shop, especially now that things will (hopefully) be picking up soon. 


According to my calculations, all I have to do is sell one iphone cozy per day. Or six hair clips. Or one necklace and two hair clips. Etc, etc, etc. Easy-peasy, right? Don't we get weekly emails from Etsy with forum posts about how reaching one hundred items in your shop will skyrocket you to financial success? What about all those interviews with sellers who were able to quit their day jobs? Oh my gosh what am I doing wrong?? 
Now that sounds like a good idea!

3 comments:

Good Girls Studio said...

*Freak out & throw Stuff* :))

Oh dear, I'll be praying for jobs for you both! There is no special formula for success on Etsy. It's too huge now & trying to follow every tip & trick out there can a total time suck unless you're already selling well & have a staff to do it for you! (my 2 cents) I would try & pursue wholesale accounts.

I feel your pain on the daycare thing! I was in retail hell most of my sons early years & felt terrible taking him to day care & having family watch him. Email me if you need to vent or freak out! I'm her for you babe!

{hugs}
Johanna

Sue said...

things always have a way of working themselves out. i'm a firm believer that when one door closes another will open up. in the meantime, i'll be sending lots of positive energy your way!

Sue

Mary P. said...

I have a love hate relationship with those Etsy emails. I think you can take some of the things they say and apply them - but ultimately you've got to run it your own way. I agree with Johanna there! Wholesale is the way to go - or even consignment at local shops. When people can touch the stuff...they buy it!

Sue, I agree things do work themselves out. So Melissa, try your hardest to breathe and believe that you'll come out on top!

Mary