Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Coolest Playground Ever

I have a memory of playing at a ridiculously cool wooden park when I was very little. So little that my brother doesn't remember it at all. So little that the wood was yellow and new. Recently that memory somehow popped back into my head and I've been on a mission to find it and take Carly there. It was difficult to find because it's actually the playground of an elementary school!


Can you imagine playing on this every afternoon of your childhood??


Several structures are connected by bridges, staircases, and stacking cube-like mazes:

Carly was a bit overwhelmed at first!
The best part is the gigantic shady tree in the center. A little sitting area is built around it with benches and tables. The bottom is like a little stage area with seating, I would've loved that as a kid!

I sat under the tree and embroidered. It was so pleasant with a cool breeze, I would've stayed all day if I had brought enough projects!
And of course there are the indispensable playground accouterments: Swings, monkey bars, slides, poles, tires, and a hanging balance beam.
The way the entire playground is set up is perfect for imaginary play- Pirate ships, castles with towers, forts, obstacle courses for a race- Even my "adult" mind was full of possibilities!


If you live in the Dayton area, check out my flickr page for more photos and location info.

10 comments:

janet said...

Awesome...I would love to play on that!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Man, I love wooden parks like this. I had one in the town I grew up in, and I'm so happy the town we live in has one, too!

Great pictures! Sounds like fun!

Sara said...

Great pictures! Love it! There is a similar place in Bellbrook that we have taken the kids to. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to revisit it. :)

Shana said...

We have a park a lot like this too. It isn't a school park and I love to take Blaze there after school starts for a calm day at the park where it isn't so crowded.

Courtney said...

HEY! We played at this park a TON as kids too. We just affectionately called it "The Wooden Park". (still do actually...)

This park was THE BEST,wasnt it? Do you remember the "intercoms" it has throughout to be able to talk to each other all over the park? Does it still have those? Gah,this park was THE BEST. <3 seeing the pics....

Courtney

Christina said...

When I was young they opened a new playground that looks very much like that one, in the city I kind of grew up in. We thought it was awesome! And yes it felt like a fort or ship. I loved all the hiding spots. We spent many hours there!

jacqui said...

they just don't make parks like they used to! does anyone remember a segment on sesame street or maybe mister rogers where they built a park like this? i was soooo jealous it wasn't in my town!!

jodi@sewpictureperfect.com said...

That looks EXACTLY like one we have in a park here in Oregon. Cool! And it is awesome!

Lisa said...

A school near my grandmother's had a wooden playground as well.. She and my dad would take my sister and I there almost every time we visited. They tore it down and put up a compact plastic substitute. Damn the schoolboards and their paranoia about being sued.

Kelly Irene said...

that looks like so much fun! My husband and I kicked off our dating relationship at a playground that looks eerily similar, only in California! (He told me he liked me there and asked me to be his girl friend while we enjoyed coke and nerds...nothing else meant by that!)