Saturday, August 21, 2010

Up In The Air

I like routine. I like lists. I like to be in control.

The past few weeks, things are spinning out of control and I'm losing my mind!

Well ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. Really the unemployment is what's making things crazy. I feel like this fall/winter is when my shop was really going to take off, and now that I'm completely off that evil Celexa, I can function like a normal person and everything will be ok.
But now I'll be working full time. Well, hopefully working full time. Meaning I have to actually be hired first. The interview on Thursday went alright, I thought. I did my best Emma Pillsbury, which I thought was very appropriate for a school secretary candidate:

Or as an extremely unflattering skirt length model. Whatever.
I will not delete the photo. I will not delete the photo. I will leave it up as a motivation to stick to a diet!

My very thin sister-in-law sent those over. Isn't she sweet? Peanut butter buckeyes, for those poor souls who don't know what they're looking at!

Anyway. There are plenty of successful sellers on etsy who also work full time outside the home. And have children. Right? Right?
Well, I'm sure something will work out. Right? Right?
I'm just not sure what direction this is all going now. What is my goal here? To make a little extra money for savings? To make enough to support my family? To amuse myself? Aaargh!

I have managed to make a few things this week, all very autumn-y:





Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention there's a giveaway over at Noodles & Milk for a custom set of my embroidered flower hair clips! So get on over there and enter before Wednesday!

6 comments:

Good Girls Studio said...

Your ring is adorable, is that something new your making?

You look cute in your long skirt & how in the world could you go on a diet if there are buckeyes around!?! That is such an Ohio thing :)

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks Johanna! Yea, you know how I love odd rings so I thought I should try it out.
I've heard that before, that buckeyes are only popular in Ohio, but.... that's a tragedy!
I'll be interested to see how many of my non-Ohioan readers are familiar with them!

andrea creates said...

Oh-I love the new fascinators!You're super talented!
I entered the giveaway :)
We moved to Ohio recently and discovered buckeyes-Delicious :)

Kelly Irene said...

YES you can have a shop and work full time! I work full time and have a one-year old. I just sew when she's sleeping. And dream abut sewing all day! I make lots of lists so that whenever I have a free minute, I can look at it and immediately know what I need to do--whether sewing or housekeeping--without wasting time trying to figure out what to do.
I hope the job search goes well!

Allison said...

Hi Melissa! I just found you (I have no idea how) but am glad I did. Love the interview outfit! Adorable! BTW I think we may be kindred spirits. I'm not a stalker or anything. I'm just sayin'. Come check out Vintage Pollyanna. You may agree. Also I adore the flower ring. TRES cute! I have a 4 year old and a two year old, I work from home 20 hours a week and I sew like a freak. But I don;t have an Etsy shop. Hmm. That may be just what I need to push me over the proverbial edge. ;-)

SewSweetStitches said...

Thanks guys!
Kelly, I love lists too. I just have a hard time actually DOING what I wrote down! I'll make a list of what projects to tackle in order of importance, but when I DO have a minute to make something, I'm like ehhh.... I don't feel like that one today hehe.

Allison, I'm on my way to check out your blog!