Monday, September 27, 2010

Fiber Fest! Wool Gathering 2010

Last weekend was the annual Wool Gathering festival in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Every year my mom and I say we aren't going to go, and then we always do. And every year I say I'm not going to buy any roving or laceweight, and every year that's all I buy. I can't spin. Here's what my last attempt looked like:

uglyhandspun
That's hideous.
But somehow I always convince myself that this will be the year I learn to spin for real.

Ah well. If I ever decide to make a serious attempt, I'll have many pounds to work with.

Besides fiber, I also got this lovely coffee cup from Starry Road Studio:
fiberfest2010 (21)

And this adorable hair barrette from the Peruvian lady. Even though it's not really fiber-related, she has a space there every year, and I always go bonkers over it.
fiberfest2010 (19)

Here's my roving. I completely forget what I even wanted to make with it. But I couldn't resist, it's so beautiful! Mom and I went back to the Fiber Optics space several times, it's just unbelievable stuff!
fiberfest2010 (16)

And I rescued this Wollmeise from a vendor's personal stash. She was going to use it for socks. For a man. Sacrilegious.
I'm going to use it for an Ishbel shawl. Someday.

fiberfest2010 (12)

But first, I'm going to practice using laceweight yarn with a Citron shawl and this Malabrigo:
fiberfest2010 (4)

Anyone else fortunate enough to live near a fiber festival?

5 comments:

andrea creates said...

hi-
i went to the country living fair this weekend-hadn't heard about the fiber festival...
i can't 'spin' but i'm always so tempted...malabrigo is one of my all time faves...and i love that barrette :)

jenni said...

I don't know what malabrigo is or what you're making out of it but my WORD it's beautiful!!!!!!

janet said...

I look forward to this one every year....it's fabulous!!!!
http://www.sheepandwool.com/links/index.asp

Janet xox

SewSweetStitches said...

Woohoo- Jenni just got nibbled by the fiber bug!

Janet I've heard of the ridiculous amount of fabulous that is that festival, maybe someday I'll get to go! *sigh* I hope you'll have photos when you come back!

goosiegirls said...

It all looks so heavenly. How did you not walk away more? I applaud you for not giving up on your spinning dream. I'd love to try it myself. It looks like with just a little more practice you could have it. Try again.. you can do it!