Monday, November 29, 2010

A Delicious Weekend



Besides that face! I just want to bite her little cheeks...


She helped me make this peanut butter chocolate pie:



And of course it had to be done in her ballerina outfit...



And then we made a cheesecake! A pumpkin caramel cheesecake:



This is a recipe I came up with after combining several similar recipes and the secret weapon:




Pumpkin Butterscotch-Caramel Cheesecake
-Three 8-ounce bars of softened cream cheese (I always use Philadelphia)
-1 package Oreo cookies
-1/4 cup plus 1/2 cup softened butter
-1 jar Mrs Richardsons butterscotch caramel topping (or something similar, but that's my favorite)
-3 eggs at room temperature
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 can pumpkin (I think they're around 15 ounces usually)
-1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-pumpkin pie spice

1. Dump the oreos into a mixer (not a hand-held one!) or a food processor and turn them into crumbs. Melt the 1/4 cup butter and mix it in. Lightly spray the springform pan (I used a 12-inch) and press the buttery crumbs on the bottom and a little up the sides.

2. Mix the 1/2 cup butter with the cream cheese. Add sugar, pumpkin, spice, and half of the jar of caramel, mix. Scrape the bowl and beater and mix again just until all the clumps are mixed in. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly. There are a lot of tips about how to mix cheesecakes properly so there are no air bubbles and the top won't crack during baking. I never really care because I always dump chocolate over the top of mine anyway!

3. Pour the batter into the crust and bake for an hour and a half on 325 degrees. I also do a sort-of water bath by putting a big pan of hot water on the bottom oven rack and keeping the cheesecake on the top rack. I've always had a hard time making a water bath with the cheesecake directly in it because water always leaks in no matter what I do! Oh well, I've never noticed a difference in taste.

4. When the sides are pulling away and the middle is still a tad jiggly, turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven with the door open for another hour. Then lay plastic wrap directly on the top and stick it in the fridge overnight.

5. To make the chocolate topping, stir the chocolate chips and cream together in a glass bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave 30 seconds more. Mix with a fork until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let it cool for a few minutes, then dump it on top of the cheesecake. I also poured the rest of the caramel jar around the edges.

6. Lick all spoons and mixing bowls involved.


I also saw a recipe for a chai cheesecake somewhere that I'd love to try!

2 comments:

Susi said...

Gorgeous cake-pics!!!!!!!! Thanx for sharing the delicios recepie!! :D

Darlene S. said...

Your daughter is SUCH A CUTIE!!! God bless!

The caramel cheesecake has my mouth watering! ::SWOON::

YUM!