Friday, December 3, 2010

Mint Julep Fail and Chocolate Silk Pie Win

Ohhh my gosh I am NOT good at this! No matter what I do, they're just really really.... bourbon-y! Everyone gagged when they tried them! Except my darling sister-in-law, but only because I made hers with gingerale.  Know why?
Cuz she has a little baby bean in her tummy!!!

It's alright though, because we have chocolate pie and Bad Juans too:


I know Bad Juans aren't exactly Southern, but still tasty! My mom's chocolate pie is amazing, here she is with her recipe!


Chocolate Silk Pie


12 ounce can condensed evaporated milk
2 egg yolks
2 cups Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips

Whisk together egg yolks and evaporated milk in heavy saucepan. Heat on med. high until thickened, but DO NOT BOIL. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Pour into graham cracker crust and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Note: I use a shortbread crust and like it a lot better than graham cracker crust. Don't substitute cheap chocolate chips--every time I've used anything besides Nestle chips, the pie has turned out grainy.

Don't forget the homemade whipped cream on top!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You spelled it wrong--it's not "pie", it's "pah"!!!

I wish I had some of that chicken right now.

Amanda (loves Kevin) said...

Sorry about your Juleps!

I'm totally in love with Alton Brown and I know he has a julep recipe and I've never had once of his recipes fail yet!

Congrats on your sister's baby bean!! :D