Thursday, December 2, 2010

Things That Make Me Smile

I've had a really great week, I hope you did too! But it's not over yet, because tomorrow is the Gone With The Wind party! Not that many people have signed up so far, but I invited a bunch of friends over to my tiny apartment to watch with me. We're having a southern style menu starring fried chicken and sweet potato pie. Or casserole. I think they're the same thing. I don't care what it's called, as long as I can eat it as often as possible! I also need to find out how to make mint juleps as the party cocktail, because that's what came up the most when I googled "southern cocktail."

Earlier this week my husband surprised me with this sweater:

I saw it in the sales catalog that came in the mail and fell in love. And, like the ad says, that's so me! Only I don't like that it says that to everyone else who gets mail from that store. I want it to only be so me. Anyway, I love it and he even checked the sizes of my sweaters in the closet before he bought it. Very impressive!

He's also going to buy me this, even though he doesn't know it yet:

It's the second St Vincent cd, and I need it right this very minute! My brother gave me her most recent cd last year and I'm totally in love. I can't remember ever being this obsessed with anyone since Third Eye Blind's first cd. I swear I must have listened to it every day for a year when I was 14! Anyway, St. Vincent/ Annie Clark's music is the most beautiful I've ever heard. I've been listening to it at work every day this week and it puts me in a great mood. The down side is that I love it so much I'm easily distracted from work- I just want to stare off into space and listen. Here's a cover of Dig A Pony: (I have no idea what that phrase means or what the song is about, I hope it's not bad- I learned to mistrust Beatles lyrics since I walked around singing "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" as a child. So mortifying.)



And because I couldn't choose between that or this, here's a cute video from the latest cd:



Amazing, right?
Here's something else I've been addicted to this week- A snowflake maker!


We actually had our first flurries here in Dayton yesterday. I walked around with a big goofy grin all day. But then it melted and I was sad. Actually it never really stuck, but it was pretty to watch out the window. I love snow! I'd love to move to someplace like Alaska where it's snowy all the time and dark most of the year!

Something else neat I discovered this week- ThreadRare's new line of capelets:







Very Marie-Antoinette-ish! She's so talented, check out her shop here.


Oh, and knitters- Did you see the extra patterns knitty put up for fall? I'm LOVING this one!

2 comments:

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Lovely stuff! I agree about snow excitement - yay for snow! We had a tiny bit that stuck around down here, but it didn't stay for long. Oh well, I'm sure there's more where that came from!

Ellen said...

FUN!