Saturday, April 23, 2011

Flea Market Initiation

I have a friend named Courtney. She's like... my long lost twin. She loves antiques and vintage-y things. Her house is my dream come true. Her kitchen... I'm talking magazine-worthy stuff here, people. And she's hilaaaaaarious. If I'm within a 10-foot proximity I get the giggles and everything is funny. Anyway, would you believe she's never been to a flea market? I know, it's truly mind-boggling.

 Just look at her curls! Doncha just want to pull one and yell BOINNNGGGGG?! 
I do it all the time actually.

There's an old drive-in theater in Dayton that looks straight out of the fifties. I don't think they've changed a thing, and I love every inch of it. In the warm months, they do a little something on Sunday mornings called the Paris Flea Market. This is true flea marketing. The "vendors" pay something like $12 to set up, so it's the perfect place for basement clean-outs and estate unloading. So Courtney and I went last weekend. It was pretty chilly and the wind was like razor sharp icicles, so unfortunately there weren't many vendors there. But on the bright side, that left us with plenty of time to drive south for... dun dun dunnn.... TRADERS WORLD woohoo! (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should click that link. 30-foot tall plaster giraffes await you.) I thought Courtney was going to have a kitsch stroke. It was glorious, I won't lie. Although now I feel that the occasion really called for some kind of initiation ceremony, maybe a cake? Had I but known.
Anyway, here are the spoils of the day....
A Corning Ware casserole dish with a glass lid, it's a pretty good size, for $6. I'm going to make sweet potatoes in it I think.

This is an old tea towel that I'm going to use as a sofa pillow cover.

The clear glass shakers are for my collection, I've been using them as display/storage for small buttons and beads. The green ones are for my sister-in-law because she likes green kitchen things. I just thought they were a pretty and unique pattern, and when I got home and looked them up I found out they are Fenton, so that's pretty cool.
And I also got an old radio for my dad, because he likes stuff like that. It works a little bit, so I thought he could restore it or use the parts or make something awesome out of the case, like an amp. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture, but just imagine a very antique-looking radio, about 12" x 8", made ENTIRELY OF BAKELITE. Yep. I just wanted to smell it all day.

All day I kept seeing things that I thought would sell great on etsy. There was a vintage set of THE MOST adorable folk art mugs (really kicking myself for letting that one go),  pink and green depression glass shakers, and groovy plastic picnic sets, all ridiculously cheap. I'm seriously tempted to offer a few select pieces in my etsy shop, if the colors and style complimented my embroidery listings. What do you think?

7 comments:

Liz Noonan said...

go for it! I'm thinking of destashing in my Etsy shop, too. If we all do it it will be the next big thing, lol! And those yellow shakers? Check to see if they are vaseline glass, if so they may be even more cool and valuable than you thought! they look like it to me.
xo

(un)Deniably Domestic said...

What great curls. I love the vintage pieces. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

janet said...

Oh...The tea towel and the green shakers are my favorite!

Janet xox

jenni said...

excellent finds! i love the green shakers!!!

andrea creates said...

i think it sounds great!
i'm going to have to take a trip to dayton and see this some day :)

Lydia said...

Ooooh, I love ALL of it, but those shakers are beyond. I definitely want to boing-boing-boing her curls too!

Courtney Ingels said...

:) yay! Yea I went into a kitsch coma for 2 days after our outing. And,yea I think you owe me cake.
I'm itching to go back! Or that may be the bedbugs from that vintage fabric I picked up. :-P
oh and you can boing my curls anytime. (that doesn't sound quite right)

Courtney (from the photo !)