Thursday, April 28, 2011

Stringtopia!!!

What the heck is Stringtopia? It's a weekend of knitting and spinning. Not the bike kind. Or the office chair kind. Or any other kind that involves exercise. I mean like spinning yarn.
The thing is that I don't really know how to spin yarn. You might have seen my first attempt on a drop spindle:
 And technically this would be First Attempt V2.0:

Frightening, right?
So drop spindle-ing just isn't for me I guess. Then I tried on a spinning wheel, and I think it was actually worse. Then I gave it one more shot and guess what I MADE YARN!
I feel like... Well I guess it could be compared to how a man feels when he kills something, guts it, and feeds it to his family. I feel like pounding my chest and stomping around. I. MADE. YARN.
Well I don't know if I would call it yarn exactly, but pretty close. I'll bring back photos. The point is that I'm getting there. And it's fun! This weekend is going to be sooo awesome. For many reasons:
  • Classes are being taught by the superstars of the fiber world, Abby Franquemont, Jacey Boggs, and Morgaine Wilder.
  • We'll get to meet people from all over the world.
  • I get to hang out with my mom awwwwwww (stop that!)
  • There will be chocolate.
  • There will be ice cream.
  • There will be bead shopping.
  • There will be fiber shopping.
  • There will be antique shopping.
  • There may be a pajama party.
  • I believe I saw sweet potatoes on the dinner menu somewhere.
  • Aaaand... We get to stay at the Golden Lamb.


According to the website, The Golden Lamb is the oldest continuously operated business in Ohio. Hmm interesting. Also, 12 presidents have stayed there. Pretty cool. Mom and I are staying in the James Whitcomb Riley room. I have no idea who that is. I don't think he's a president. Doesn't sound familiar. I know, I'm a complete airhead. Feel free to mock me in the comments. I should look this up before we go maybe. :/

No comments: