Monday, May 16, 2011

Mexican Movie Night

My girlfriends and I try to do movie night once a month, but lately everyone's been too busy. Finally we got together over the weekend for Fools Rush In. The food theme, of course, was Mexican. Which was actually the whole point and then we had to come up with a movie that had Mexican food in it.

I always tear up at the part when he sees the little girl named Isabel at the helicopter airport thingie. I'm such a baby. Also, if I ever had another kid I would want to name her Isabel. Although the chosen name for my future imaginary child usually centers around the last movie I watched. Leia, Scarlett, Greta, Lex, Eleanor. Ten points to anyone who can guess my favorite movies ;)

Anyway, we had a great time.

That's Aunt Melissa, Jamie, Stephanie, Courtney, and the back of Jessica's head. Isn't it a cute little head? Talaya and Nichole were there too, but I was probably making them work in the kitchen. Actually I know that's what happened, because they were making these:

 Sopapillas! Which means fried flour tortillas with honey and chocolate sauce made with brown sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. I could pretty much just drink the sauce.

I made Mexican Truffles, which were ok. They were wonderful when I first made them, but I served them cold from the fridge and I think that made them not smooth and creamy.

Jessica made her famous chicken enchiladas, and Talaya made these indescribably fantastic tacquitos. I didn't get a photo because we ate every single last one.
Talaya also made these cookies:

The idea was to make them look like tacos, with a lemon poppyseed sugar cookie as the chip or taco, and tinted green frosting as the guacamole, and chopped fruit as the salsa. They tasted amazing, anyway.

Oh and we had Nutella shooters:

Sorry for the terrible photo. They may have already been taking effect by this time ;)
The recipe calls for hazelnut frangelico (I have no clue what that is), but I used hazelnut Kahlua with Godiva liquor and cream, and then the Nutella goes around the rim. They were pretty awesome. And I didn't have any appropriate barware, so we ended up using my Fiestaware tea cups and juice glasses haha!
We need to find more Mexican-themed movies so we can have Mexican food night more often!




7 comments:

Jesse said...

Star Wars, Gone With the Wind, Sound of Music? (if so it was Gretl not Greta), Jurassic Park, and Sense and Sensibility (and that's "Elinor")

SewSweetStitches said...

I deduct 20 points.

Lisa said...

Oh, snap!!!

I love sibling fights. From a distance.

Jesse said...

Did our mother actually just say "Oh Snap"?

The end is nigh!

SewSweetStitches said...

In that case, I'd like to confess that I stole a dollar out of your piggy bank when you were little.

Oh, and every time I said the prize in the CapN Crunch box was my turn.......
it wasn't.

VeganCraftastic said...

Totally off topic, but I love the color of your walls!s

SewSweetStitches said...

Aw thanks! Me too :)