Friday, May 27, 2011

Office Tour

Why would anyone want an online photo tour of my office? Because it's where I make my magic happen, baby.*wiggling eyebrows*
And by my magic, I mean how I stare at computer monitors and type stuff about... stuff. Wow that is really boring.
But stay with me, because I do have a point to make near the end...

Here's the little art gallery in my cubicle, currently featuring Carly's "I'm Three" period. We'll be debuting pieces from her next line soon, starring my favorite and aptly titled: "This Is Mommy When She's Mad."

Ahem.
Back to work, people.

Here's my kitchen. Well ok, it's everyone's kitchen, but immediately upon arrival I crowned myself the Kitchen Police, which means I have a bottle of cleaner and have charged myself with the very serious duty of keeping the microwave clean. I also make sure that nobody makes coffee without first rinsing the pot and the filter basket. I'm very popular around here.
Here's my breakfast:
It's chopped tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, fresh spinach, and mozzarella with scrambled eggs. I make a batch of veggies at the beginning of the week and divide them into tupperware for each day. Then I can nuke the eggs in the tupperware and stir in the veggies. It's really delightful.
And here's my desk. Why is the business end of my desk on the wrong... end?
Because. First I was slightly intimidated by this article. And I think I paid attention to it more because it is illustrated. Now if only these new program manuals came illustrated and bound as Little Golden Books. Anyway, the idea is that sitting for eight hours a day is really terrible for our bodies. Who'd have thought? And then my brother sent me this article about the solution to that problem.
At first, I was only mildly concerned about being at a 64% higher risk of dying of heart disease. But then I read a key observation near the end of the article:
Week 2 update: Weighed in at the end of week 2 of standing desk plus eating well, and I'm down 3 pounds—no gym, just standing and doing my regular walking about town. Pretty happy about these results so far.
WHat?! So you're saying, that by simply standing at my desk instead of sitting, I could reach my goal weight in only...
divide by 2.... carry the one... "x" equals the variable...
10 months!!!

Ten months, what? Lame. But still, it's an interesting concept. And then I remembered that I had my Skechers ShapeUps getting dusty in the closet. I could burn even more calories if I wore those all day!
So last week I decided to give it a try. My desk set-up was already perfect, all I had to do was put my monitors, keyboard, and mouse on the ledge and walk around to the other side. This way, if I decide it's too difficult or I'm sick of people pointing and laughing, I can just put them back down on the desk without any trouble.
Ok, so nobody has actually pointed and laughed yet. But I do get some weird looks, and some snickering from my Coworker Who Shall Not Be Named. CWSNBN is a health fanatic. In fact, that book laying on top of the giant foam finger is a Biggest Loser guide. So you would think that he'd be all for my new plan of standing instead of sitting all day, but no, he'd rather tease me relentlessly about it. Just between you and me, I think he's just jealous that he didn't think of it first. Mainly because this is what he sits on most days:

Yeah, a rubber ball. Nothing against the rubber ball, but just sayin.
Also, points to whoever can find ten things in this picture that don't belong.

Anyway, I thought it went pretty well. All the articles and posts I've read about this say it's pretty painful the first week until you get used to it. And it really was, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I think the Skechers made a huge difference for my feet, because they hurt the least of all. My lower back, calves, and the backs of my thighs hurt the worst. I think the Skechers caused a lot of that muscle fatigue, but the pain in the lower back is when I get tired and shift my weight around in awkward positions. Standing with good posture eliminated the back pain, but is pretty exhausting after a few hours. My fourth day is when it really got painful, so I did a lot of laps around the office, trying to walk it off. It's amazing how much more exhausting it is to just stand in one spot for hours on end instead of walking or constantly moving, like when I worked at a restaurant. I do think I'll get used to it, but I'm going to have to start all over because I've been so sick this week that I didn't do any standing at all.
I know this won't be a miraculous weight-loss plan, but if I can gain some muscle tone in my legs and make a habit of good posture, then it might be a kick-start to waking up my metabolism. The first couple of days, I felt like I had more energy when I got home from work, strangely.

Has anyone else tried the standing desk set-up? I'd love to hear how it's going!

3 comments:

KristiMcMurry said...

I've never heard that! How interesting. My coworker tried the ball thing, but only for a little while. I don't have a suitable place to stand and work or I'd try it out!

Marisa Hopkins said...

For about 8 months, we didn't have a desk so I stood at the counter with my computer - KILLED my legs. Seriously, even in my most comfortable shoes, my legs and feet ached. So. IDK. Be careful, I guess!

Also, that picture of Carly next to her easel is the CUTEST PICTURE EVER TO HAVE EVER BEEN TAKEN EVER. She is cuter than Shirley Temple, and Shirley Temple was CUTE.

Clinton Harvin said...

Hm, that's an interesting fact about standing up. Well, it's important not to get used to just sitting around, of course. Thanks for the tour. Seems like you have a pretty comfortable place of work!