Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ginger Candy Disaster

Even though I really hate spicy things, I LOVE ginger. I don't really consider ginger spicy, really, just.. hot? I don't know how to describe it, I just mean a different kind of spicy, a not painful spicy but pleasantly interesting.
Anyway, a while back I was using crystallized ginger in a recipe and I ended up eating most of the bag plain. Then I found candied ginger at an old-fashioned candy store and pretty much ate the whole thing in one day. Which made for a terrible tummy ache, but so yummy. I have a hard time finding it, so I thought I could make it. All the online recipes I found were pretty much the same, they just had the steps in different orders. So I tried last week, and oh. my. gosh. It was a complete and utter disaster.


Notice the fresh cooking going on at the left! Actually that may have been part of the problem, because I was in one of those weird Hammy The Squirrel modes and I was trying to do way too many things at one time. The recipe said to boil the ginger for a half hour, then remove all but a few tablespoons of water and add sugar to the pot. Which was like.. a whole pound. So maybe it's best that this recipe didn't work out ;)



So then you simmer for another half hour, but keep watching it and stirring. It was going pretty well until all the sudden out of nowhere, it turned into this:


Ginger nuggets?
Sigh.
I was so sad. I tried a couple pieces that weren't too burnt, but they still had a burnt sugar taste and the outside was crunchy. Also, they were incredibly spicy.
Oh well, I'll go back to eating fruit as candy instead. At first I hated the idea, but I'm surprised how well it's going. The fruit is so sweet that I...
I....
....I can't believe I'm saying this, but...
I haven't eaten chocolate in 3 weeks.

I know, right? I haven't even wanted to eat chocolate. I guess eating fruit every day is sugary enough that I don't crave the richer sweet stuff. Never thought I'd say that. Well, one day last week I did have a little handful of M&Ms but I was like.. meh.


So now I'm tracking my calories and stuff on myplate.com. I signed up for the site about a year ago but forgot about it probably the same afternoon lol. BUT THIS TIME I'M SERIOUS! I know, I know. I say that every Monday morning. But I did the math and I have a plan and I really think it will work because it includes pineapple smoothies. Nothing can fail when pineapple smoothies are included. :)


3 comments:

The Feisty Redhead said...

Oh, man. I hate it when I make something extra specially awesome and then have to throw it out. :( If it's any consolation, it looks good even if it doesn't taste good.

Mary P. said...

Ginger candy is SO. Delicious. Ginger chews anyone? Candied ginger...yes please. I'm sad yours didn't work out - but did your house smell awesome for a little while? regardless of disaster...you've inspired me to make my own.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I know why it turn out to be a disaster! You just need a thermometer my dear. Sugar turn hot very quickly, so it's very easy to overcook and transforming it in.. well granulated ginger sugar in that case, burned but still!
So just buy one, all the right temp. are written on it usually!