Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sock Curls

What the heck are sock curls?
Like on Little House On The Prairie, how they used rags and stuff to curl their hair. Only with socks. Because once I tried the rag method, and it was hilariously awful. Tiny little frizzy kinks all over. The socks seem to work because they're so much bigger maybe? And I only did six instead of six hundred. I got the idea from this:



And then I browsed a few other videos with a similar technique, except you do it all over your head instead of one big one. I loooved how hers turned out, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work so well for me because my hair isn't quite that long. And because it's not smooth and straight like hers. And because I'm not drop dead gorgeous like her. And because I don't have a really neat accent. But after the horrid sleep I had lastnight, I'm willing to give it a try! The hair, not the accent.



That's the technique I used. I put one on the very top in the center, pulling hair from both sides. Then I did two on the sides and ... three on the back? Something like that. I also used a shiny hair lacquer spray stuff before I did the rolling/tying. Here's how it looked:

Truly frightening, right? I woke up with a cramp in my neck. Even though I slept really deeply, I must have been trying to alleviate the trauma to my head in my sleep by laying at a really awkward angle.
Anyway, when I took them out in the morning, some were still a little damp. I think next time I'll blow dry it a little first, because this was just towel-dried. Here's how they looked:

Not that great. Especially that part in the front that didn't make it into the bun. And especially because it's morning. ugh. Then I ran my fingers through them a bit, fluffing them up and switching some of the volume to the other side of my part:

Wow so much better. I'm really tempted to brush them out to see how they'd look. My hair is naturally curly and very thick, but it also has an unpleasant frizz factor which makes the good things into obnoxious things. To get pretty curls, I have to blow dry with a diffuser and define with product, which I really hate. I want to be able to run my fingers through it and tuck it back off my face throughout the day without that heinous crunch-crunch-crunch. So usually I just let it air dry and it's wavy but puff-ball-ish, with absolutely no shine whatsoever.
Even the back turned out pretty!

Which you probably can't see because of the terrible photo. I was trying to angle two mirrors. And did I mention it was first thing in the morning? This is pretty good for pre-coffee, I think!

3 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

Oooh, those curls are mighty luscious! My hair is too short for anything right now. I go through long hair/short hair phases and hate them both. I'd really love it if shaved heads became all the rage!!

The Happy Doom Crafter said...

Classic technique and such pretty results! My mom used to curl both our heads of hair the same way, having learned this method from her own mother. She'd save old, worn-through socks for just this purpose. She never did let me buy a proper curling iron and though I've owned plenty since, I still prefer this method cause it's so easy on the hair.

Julie said...

I love love love this! I used to do rags, and that is hard to sleep on. My hair is naturally curly and I have a lot of friz going on - especially thanks to the constant humidity where I live. I am definitely going to try this. Thank you!