Thursday, September 1, 2011

Goodbye Princess The Boy Cat


This is my cat, Princess. My ex-husband and I found him crying on our porch when we were seventeen. He looked like a little wet rodent! He couldn't have been more than a few weeks old, he was completely bald, and his poor gray skin was covered with fleas.  Honestly I was pretty horrified the first time I saw him, and I was too grossed out by the fleas to hold him at all. But we cleaned him up and took him to the vet, and pretty soon he was growing a luxurious coat and gaining weight like crazy!

He was so young when we found him that he hadn't yet developed noticeable ... um..... parts. We thought he was a girl, and I called him Princess. Even after we realized he was a boy, the name just stuck. He was such a good boy, he loved to play Ninja Kitty and he followed me around everywhere. If we had company, he made best friends instantly, and he came when you called like a dog would. Every night when he was ready for bed, he'd start off down the hallway and make polite little meows to let me know he was getting sleepy. He cuddled up under my chin as best he could, considering he was probably a good fifteen pounds! Before my daughter came along, (and sometimes after!) he was always on my lap, my little buddy.

For the last year, he's been living with my ex-husband, and I've missed him terribly. Our new apartment charged quite a bit to let us keep a pet, and my asthma had been growing worse and worse ever since I had him. Apparently he had a stroke a while back and couldn't move his head or walk very well. He wasn't able to eat and had to be put down. I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore, but I wish I could have rubbed his ears on my cheek and buried my face in his fluffy fur one more time.



 Princess made a great pillow...

...and chew toy.

He was always willing to play wrestling...

... and was very patient!

I'll miss you, Princess! There will never be another cat like you.

5 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

AWWWW! :( I'm so sorry!! Also, those pictures with Carly - that last one!!!!! - so cute!

Princess - the best name for a boy kitty, haha!

Kathy Martin said...

What a sweet and precious Princess! What a beautiful cat he was! Love that you rescued him from a life of misery! I have two cats, they look much like Princess with long striped gray fur. I love them so much. As I have all my furry babies! It's so hard to let go. ((((hugs))))

Allison said...

I'm so sorry about Princess. How wondeful that after a rough start, he had a good home and was so generously loved and cared for. Our animals become a part of us. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

SewSweetStitches said...

Thank you everyone :)

Anonymous said...

my tiger just looks like your Princess. I love my Tiger til dead and understand how much you missed Princess. I am sooooo sorry. I have my Tiger a year ago when she was 8 lbs. Now that she is 13 lbs, I am so worry if Tiger is over weight or only her long fur.