Thursday, September 15, 2011

Homemade Party Dress- Finished!

Ok so it was actually finished and worn several weeks ago, but you know how it goes around here about getting posts up.
So to refresh your memory, here's the original inspiration:


If you'll remember, I had some trouble finding a suitable pattern and the fabric was kind of a disappointment.
But I went ahead and went through with it. Here are some phone pics of me trying to figure out how to do the bodice since the chiffon wasn't behaving like the correct kind of fabric would have:

This is what it looked like before any kind of draping overlay. The bodice was so baggy on the bottom and I couldn't figure out what else to do about it. So frustrating.

 This kind of looks like two pieces of chiffon up there, but it's really just one big piece and that strip over my right boob wasn't distributed evenly across. Of course I would have fixed it but I was just holding it with my hand so... Yea. It was hard to tell which would have looked best without proper adjustment.

This most closely resembles what I was originally going for. I would have liked to have two separate straps instead of the halter, but I seriously could not get it to look right by myself because I was wearing the stupid thing! Plus that would have involved more sewing and undoubtedly endless adjustments to stop them from sliding off because I have really weird-shaped shoulders. And at this point I was ready to heave the whole mess over the side of my balcony and wear pajamas to the party instead. 

I kind of wish I had gone with this look in the end. I love square necklines, and I thought it would have been neat to have the shoulder sash hang free and floaty off the back, with a few stitches to tack it down to the top of the back of the bodice. But this option left my pointy booby bodice exposed on one side, and I didn't know how to fix that either. Le sigh.

Here's the finished product:

I love the deep hem on the overskirt, but I hemmed the underskirt like two inches too short, which was enraging but what can you do. Re-do the skirt? Pffbt. Pretend I designed it that way. Sounds like a much better plan.
So I guess I'm pretty happy with the end result, but I'll probably never wear it again. The waist and the halter piece weren't even stitched down, just pinned in place. Thankfully nothing came apart and fell off during the party!
Will I ever make this again? Hmm... That coral silk was awfully tempting!

2 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

LOVE IT! So pretty and I love the color!

Haha, going out to a party in a pinned not sewn dress... that's how I lived my life - my mom would make me stuff but then not finish and I'd have safety pins and masking tape holding my clothes together. :D

jenni said...

I love it! I hope you had a fab time in your pretty party dress!