Monday, September 12, 2011

My First Free Pattern!

Bari J Ackerman's new website, We Love French Knots, has my interview and free pattern posted today!


I'm so excited. I haven't done tissue cozies in a long time, but I'm thinking about listing some new ones before the shopping season gets into full swing. Of course I've said that about dozens of things already and... well, you see how that's going! 
Anyway check out my supplier's shop, Felt On The Fly. She's offering a kit for sale with all the colors you'll need to make the cozy in the pattern. It's a great way for you to try out her wool, and you'll have a good bit of the secondary colors left over for more little projects. Trust me, you won't be disappointed! This is the highest quality stuff around, the color choices are incredible, and Janet is absolutely lovely to work with. 




Be sure to click around on We Love French Knots. It's a fairly new site, but it's beautiful to browse and there's plenty to explore and inspire!

7 comments:

MosaicMagpie said...

Love the pattern and your lovely stitching. I have ordered the felt from "Felt on the Fly.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Precious Tissue Pattern. How about a Christmas Ornament for your next Free Pattern. I need ideas for the Texas Fire Needlework Victims who lost everything.

Solstitches said...

What a cute pattern. Thank you!
I arrived on your blog via We Love French Knots and am now a new follower here :)

Margaret

nouveaustitch said...

Your work is exquisite! I would love to know more about your technique. How do you get such precise cuts? Do you use a die cutting machine and if so, which one? You use DMC floss, have you tried others? Are you stitching through more than two layers of felt at a time? What is your preferred needle brand?

Thanks so much! And thanks for mentioning Felt on the Fly. I'd never heard of her before and learned she's just down the road from me!

Best,
Ellen

SewSweetStitches said...

Thank you so much everyone, and thank you for supporting Felt On The Fly, she deserves it!

A few people have asked about getting clean cuts on the felt. I can only attribute that to the quality of the felt! The fibers are so tightly pressed that I have no trouble getting any shape I want with an average pair of sewing scissors. For the tiny flowers, I do use a die cut to save time and hassle. Here's a post I did about the Sizzix machine and the dies I bought for the flowers: http://sewsweetstitches.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-review-of-sizzix-big-shot.html

I've never used any other floss than DMC (and a few skeins of Anchor from my mom's prized collection!) I'd love to try Cosmo soon, and I'm working on spinning my own laceweight yarn to use as thread.

For needles, I like DMC, I think the size 16 but I need to double-check.

I sew through multiple layers of felt most of the time, in fact I prefer it because I can get more stitches into a small space. By overshooting the needle a tiny bit in from the back, and then coming back up at a backwards angle, there is less of a chance of pulling clean through the fibers when making close stitches.

Thanks everyone!

nouveaustitch said...

Thank you so much for the details! I've ordered my Sizzix Big Shot and one of the large die sets. I hope it all works! Now one more question...where were your folks able to purchase the custom die?

Thanks again,

Ellen

SewSweetStitches said...

Ellen,
I'm sorry but I don't know where the custom die came from. It was a gift from my dad