Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cowgirl Fashion Show




Remember the Simplicity-except-not pattern I couldn't figure out last week? Because I'm a moron? Well I finally finished it!


This turned out to be the perfect pattern for me because it forced me to do all the things I've always gone through ridiculously dramatic efforts to avoid in the past:
  • Zippers. I can't believe I was so afraid of using zippers! Well there is the thing about my sewing machine not having a zipper foot which makes it a little tedious, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining!
  • Facings. Up until now I never understood the concept. Silly, right?
  • Bias tape. You guys, not only did I use bias tape, I made my own!! 

Now, the dress did turn out a bit roomy, but that's ok because she can wear a turtleneck underneath it when it gets really cold, and she should still be able to wear it next year too. She doesn't really like it because it doesn't twirl, but too bad. I made this and darnit you will wear it and LIKE IT!!!


I have enough corduroy leftover to make two wee little ties for my baby nephews. Maybe a bow tie and a tie tie? Omigosh and little caps?! Do you think this print is too girly for boys?




The pattern came with instructions for long sleeves too, so I'll definitely be using it again. I could even shorten the length by about half and have a cute top to wear with jeans!
I've heard many people remark that they wish they could learn to sew but feel like they could never figure  out patterns. I hope the past two sewing posts have showed that if I could figure this out, you guys definitely can! I have the perfect pattern in mind for a beginner, I promise no bias tape! Would you guys be interested in a sew-along?
If so, how do you feel about a dress for little girls, from infants to size six? Or would you prefer something non-clothing to start out, like something for home? Or do you hate hearing about sewing and wish I would stop posting about it? 

4 comments:

jenni said...

Oh my goodness. It's so cute. She is so cute!

Lulu said...

ooh! ooh! ooh! Count me in for the sew-along, just the kind of thing I'd love to do! Loving the way this dress turned out, by the way... :)

Wonky Girl said...

Makes me wish for a little girl to sew for.
At age 12 I learned to sew my own school clothes on mom's vintage treadle.
Then I had a boy and sewed his baby clothes and little shirts and pants until he got too "old" for mom's sewn stuff.
Anyone can learn to sew.

Anonymous said...

first visit to your blog. seems you have a bit of a southwestern theme going on. (i'm in Arizona) love the dress. Carly is adorable. wish i had done more sewing for my kids. thanks for the inspiration. gonna go sew! Mary Jo