Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Great French Revolution Obsession

What the what? I know right. I don't get it either. I read Les Mis over the summer, and ever since I've been obsessed with The French Revolution. I think the problem is that I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading, especially about the politics and the battles and all that, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can. Every time I start Les Mis over, I understand a tiny bit more than I did the time before, but I still feel pretty bewildered most of the time! Doesn't stop it from being the best story EVUR though, obviously.



It helped that I already knew a little about the whole subject though because I read Desiree when I was like in third grade or something. I think it was the busty lady on the cover that attracted my curiosity haha! Anyway it's a mostly fictitious story about the real Napoleon and Desiree, and it's still one of my favorite books ever. The 1954 movie is kitschy cute, but Marlon Brando makes teh best evur Napoleon. I think this movie should be redone, although it's already pretty adorable. You can watch it on Amazon for $3. I do it all the time. I should just buy it and save on the rental but I'm always like... But this is viewing #546, surely I'll be sick of it after this! But no. Jean Simmons is just precious.
Anyway, I've always been a bit fascinated by Napoleon. I think he was bipolar, seriously. The grandiosity plummeting into major depression? Back and forth, up and down. It makes sense. OR he was just a psychopath hehe. hmm.
So check out the movie if you're in the mood for that kind of cute but disturbingly tragic kind of thing (what the what?) and let me know if you have any good book recommendations! And if you've never gotten around to reading Les Mis, try downloading the audiobook from LibriVox. (You can get any public domain book there for free, and most of their readers are pretty good.)

No comments: